CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

95 900rr Signal Light problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 900rr Signal Light problems

hey guys maybe some one can shed some light on my problem, i have a 95 blade im rebiulding. ive done all the cleaning and some wiring ,the harness was in good shape just a few bare spots that are fixed. My problem is that the turn signals will not flash they just stay on steady, another member of the forum was so kind as to send me a working turn relay from his parts bike but still didnt fix the problem. The same member gave me the wiring diagram for the entire bike ive traced every wire for the turn signals and every one tests out as it should. According to the diagram the turn signal relay is the only relay/flasher in this circuit. so im at a lose here i dont know why they arent flashing running lights work as they should shutting off when the signal light is energized and the turn signals come one correctly as far as left and right and energizing the correct wires. But still no flash, any one have any ideas as to why? The bike does have LED lights and a LED intergrated tail light all new installs i have tried it out with and without the resistors with the same result. help? lol

This was installed in the rear of the system on the back turn signals by the previous owner, it was un needed as it didnt work and it had gotten hot at one point or another and since all the stock wires tested out correctly it was removed and wiring was cleaned up.
The signals did not flash with this item installed either ( just and FYI of past wiring)

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 4645
Size:  100.7 KB

Last edited by ambeos5; 07-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those scotch-lock connectors (the bright blue ones) need to go! Even if they work now they WILL fail. Either solder the wires together or get the proper bullet connectors.

As for the indicators I know things need to be done with resistors to get them to work and/or an 'LED capable' flasher unit is needed. In your case I would try to get it back to stock with the bulbs (can you just swap the bulbs over?) and get that working rather tha try to understand a POs 'project' ....

Dave

Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by dvhttn
Those scotch-lock connectors (the bright blue ones) need to go! Even if they work now they WILL fail. Either solder the wires together or get the proper bullet connectors.

As for the indicators I know things need to be done with resistors to get them to work and/or an 'LED capable' flasher unit is needed. In your case I would try to get it back to stock with the bulbs (can you just swap the bulbs over?) and get that working rather tha try to understand a POs 'project' ....

Dave
yes, i removed all of that crappy wiring its back to stock, and yes i tried putting the OEM bulbs in to test with same result they stay on but do not flash

Old 07-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this will help you or not but this is what I did for my LED set up. I currently don't do any night driving here so I am not in much need of running lights so I run without them on my bike for now.

Name:  LEDTurnSetup1_zps5aa582fb.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  80.4 KB
Here's my current front left LED turn placement

Name:  LEDTurnSetup2_zpsf1ad4320.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  80.0 KB
Here is how I have my wires hooked up (Ground and Turn Lead). Could easily add another set of mini LEDs to the Running Light Lead to go with running lights. Now I dont have a picture but if I run a jumper wire from my Turn Lead to the Running Lead then I have both Running Lights and Turn Signals. Not sure how or why it works like that but it does for me.

EDIT: Once I get done redoing my plastics I plan on placing my LED's closer to the original placement permanently as well as adding and extra set for running lights and extra lighting visibility.

Last edited by WilliePete; 07-27-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 AM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by WilliePete
I don't know if this will help you or not but this is what I did for my LED set up. I currently don't do any night driving here so I am not in much need of running lights so I run without them on my bike for now.

Here's my current front left LED turn placement

Here is how I have my wires hooked up (Ground and Turn Lead). Could easily add another set of mini LEDs to the Running Light Lead to go with running lights. Now I dont have a picture but if I run a jumper wire from my Turn Lead to the Running Lead then I have both Running Lights and Turn Signals. Not sure how or why it works like that but it does for me.

EDIT: Once I get done redoing my plastics I plan on placing my LED's closer to the original placement permanently as well as adding and extra set for running lights and extra lighting visibility.
Willie, my problem isnt that i dont have the setup i have all of the lights they just do not flash

As for connection the running and turn together it should not work properly your rear signal will stay on and the indicator on the dash will to, the solution is to put diodes inline were you wire the running and turn signal wires together, the diode only lets voltage go one way kinda like a electrical check valve

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah my bad., I am a bit dyslexic and totally comprehended what you wrote wrong.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Checked you've got all the earths connected properly? And are you absolutely sure that the "new" relay works as it should?

Dave

Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

Originally Posted by dvhttn
Checked you've got all the earths connected properly? And are you absolutely sure that the "new" relay works as it should?

Dave
yes on earths, no on relay it was used relay, anyway i think ill re-wire the system so it makes sense instead of this enigma of wiring honda has going on.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

ok, i have no were else to trouble shoot a problem now, im completely lost. Ill re-cap what i have done so you guys might be able to perform a miracle for me. This is a 1995 Honda CBR900RR im working on.

Problem: Turn signals will not flash stay on steady when turned on

Proposed Solutions that failed:

1. Tried wiring the system back to oem status with oem turn signals front and rear , Same result no flash
2. Tried the same solution as above with a new turn signal flasher relay and switch, same result no flash
3. Wired the new LED lights and rear intrigrated tail light in as directed with resistors, same result no flash
4. Tried above solution with the LEDs without resitors, same result no flash
5. tried last 2 solution with the new flasher relay and switch with and without resistors, same results no flash

So here are the test results of the wiring:

in any of the above mentions solutions the wiring remains the same on test results,as follows:

The turn signal wires show (+) anytime engaged , will not flash.
The relay is enerizing the correct wires front and rear just not flashing
The relay is working properly, shutting down the (+) to running lights while signals are energized.
Running light wires are energizing correctly on all wires
Turn signal switch is putting out the correct switching of the wires to the relay
All connection were tested for continuity and all grounds were checked
It seems that everything works as it should except that the turn signals will not flash
2 different relays have been tried and 2 different switches have been tried same result no flash

Even the gauge lights to indicate the turn signals stay on constant no flash.

So im hoping someone here has a spare miracle laying around

Old 08-06-2014, 05:26 PM
ROTM, Oct 2014

I called in a favor to a friend that works as a repair tech at the local Honda dealership, he brought his own test equipment(guess he thought mine was faulty) after testing wires and pulling apart the harness for 30 minutes he sat back in the chair and scratched his head for 2 hours going over the same diagram i have. his response after this was "Sell it, and buy a new bike, i have no idea why this isnt working" and this was the end of the session. So im stuck with a bike that tests out perfect but doesnt function right other than this problem the bike is solid and runs very well.

Last edited by ambeos5; 08-06-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 900rr Signal Light problems