CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

93 RR Does Nothin....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 93 RR Does Nothin....Help!

You're going to have to cut the old wires back and re-solder in some new ones. This is where a spare wiring harness is really handy. If you now have everything isolated, try jumping the bike again. I think it will work this time. Well, it will start at least.

I think your battery may be dead though. I'd say your rectifier is probably dead as well.

--Chris

Old 08-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Eh...I tried to jump the bike and still nothing, no lights ,no horn,nothing.....giant paper weight. I also looked aroudn for the grounds, and i found one on the engine/tranny, and it was still good and a small one under my rear seat, and it was also still god. Im pretty much out of idea's at this point.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Check your main fuse again. I think it's blown.

--Chris

Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 AM

I did....a few times actully, im starting to think im gonna have to just tear the whole bike apart and maybe even unwrapp the harness. Im not sure what else to do. I think im de-toxin from lack of speed lol. I dont kno what im gonna do when winter comes.But anyway im out of idea's so.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:38 AM

I hope you're not jumping the battery from a car battery. Doing that could possibly fry your battery and/or your battery cables. Car batteries put out a lot more amps that motorcycle batteries and they can't take the extra juice. That may have been what blew your main fuse to begin with.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 AM

Oh i was jumping it with my car battery....I read somewhere else on here it was o to do this. I've jumped my lawnmower for 2 years now with my car and never had any problems so i figured it was ok.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:00 AM

I jump off a spare car battery all the time. I've never had a problem. The started will draw the amps it needs and nothing more. It's not like the car battery will shove more amps down it's throat because it can.

--Chris

Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 PM

I took the tank off and all the wireing seems fine....this is really botherin me that cant figure this out. i was gtonna take a pic of the wires, but the file is to large . they where the ones that were burnt, but i separated them all. Als o though there was a red wire and a green wire that where just cut and tapped off from the guy who had the bike before e, so im not sure what they're for. Maybe i should post this in the general tech forum.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:50 AM

A red and green from where? Down by the rectifier?

Also, I thought about this a bit more. What does the kickstand switch look like--i.e. the wiring going into and out of it? Is it fried as well? I only ask because it shares the ground with the rectifier, ECU and clutch switch. My guess is that your problem lies in there somewhere.

--Chris

EDIT: I looked at the wiring closer. Both the rectifier and the kickstand switch are wired into the grounding backbone for the whole wiring loom. I cut my kickstand switch out of the loom a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure the rectifier and the kickstand switch were close together--Meaning if the ground on the rectifier got hot enough to melt leads, the ground wire elsewhere may be screwed as well.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 AM

You know you have a short, where a wire leading from the positive terminal of the battery to a component has managed to touch ground, but how do you find it? Go get a $10 self-powered test light, also called a continuity tester. Disconnect the battery. Disconnect all grounds and tape them so they don't touch the frame. Connect the clip of the continuity tester to ground and start probing connectors. Any circuit that still has continuity has the short. Usually it's a pinched wire, but I would look at those burnt wires. Or you could pay a mechanic to do the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: 93 RR Does Nothin....Help!