CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

900rr vs. modern day bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008 | 12:50 PM
Default 900rr vs. modern day bikes

i have a 93 900rr...i just had the whole motor rebuilt last month...everything is brand new...i had to go with a 919 head...and a 919 crank because my old crank was shot..and so was the head....i have a stage 3 jet kit....and its been dyno'd at 132 rwhp....i have rode it here and there since i had it rebuilt...and it runs like a brand new bike...welll im going out riding this weekend...my best friend has a ninja 636r....im just curious....would the 900rr have a chance up against a 636r and bike for bike...which one would come out on top?

Old 05-22-2008 | 07:39 PM
Default RE: 900rr vs. modern day bikes

i would think that your bike would still have a power advantage over you friends bike.
i'm not sure how much power their making, but i don't think they make as much power
as yours. however, you may not be able to match the handling of the newer bikes.

Old 05-26-2008 | 06:02 PM

The 900RR is more than capable against most newer bike up to the liter class machines. Especially with a few hop ups. I run an air box kit and ignition advancer plus a full V&H system ans 15-45 gearing and my bike can hang with most aside from the R1 and GSXR 1000. Its really the torque that will pull you away from the smaller 600's and 750's. Also, the more you lighten your ride the more the power will matter. I stripped mine of anything and everything non essential and its basically a track bike at this point. Not that I'm gonna race anyone to prove my point but I certainly don't feel outgunned at any time. On the track the smaller bikes will put a hurtin on you if you don't heavily invest in suspension and brake upgrades, but all around I am always impressed that my 12 year old machine still has the ***** to hang with new state of the art bikes. People always want to compare the numbers with me but they will never ever use the full power potential of their "cream of the crop" 1000's anyway, so they can keep talking while I'm actually able to give my bike full throttle coming off a turn. As for a 636 you will be faster off the line if you are good with the clutch but he'll catch you in the turns if your lazy. It depends on where you are riding but I think you got the upper hand. Do yourself a favor though and stick to your own pace...ride safe.

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:14 PM

I love this subject and rider expierience plays more than a big part, the 900rr could still put a hurtin on that 636 the biggest advantage that bike has is its F.I. and the weight. I raced a 636 last year (straight line ) and beat the guy 3 times in a row by@ least 2 bike lengths every time on a 1/4 mile straight. What people don't understand is that the 900rr was a bike that was way ahead of its time a legend in the sport bike world! Like jordan was to basketball and that is why even today the 900rr can still put up a good fight aganist almost any opponent!! If you are lucky enough to own one I would suggest holding onto it after the stunters got a hold of them there are not to many left in good shape.

Old 05-29-2008 | 10:40 PM

And if you know a stunter with one buy it from him and save it.

Old 05-30-2008 | 12:08 AM

Its all depends on how good you are and where you are going with him.

Straight roads; it shouldn't be any problem where the power of the machine that mostly matter compare to your skills. Don't be suprised if he can be par with you since I believe its not easyto get a top end speed on the streets and 200km/h is easily achievable by any mordern bikes as well. Twisty roads; its a different story then. If your friend's skills is much better than yours, he will smoke you and maybe he will just leave you a trail for you to catch up. If yours is better, its still going to be a close call. If same skills, you still have to work hard pushing your bike up and down through the corners, braking hard and accelarate where its not going to be that tough for your friend based on his bike.

I had went out with buddies with many type of bikes all the time. It can be intimidating sometimes; very often the emotion will run high to just beat out our friend infront of us. Just be safe and have fun; anyway thats the reason all of us having a bike here!

Old 05-30-2008 | 04:13 AM

Well I ride with some friends that have a F4I, 08 R6, 07 R1, 08 ZX6R, 08 Busa, 05 GSXR and I can tell ya all those bikes give me a run for my money.

The busa eats everyone except in the canyons, The R6 is proably the best handeling bike i have ever ridden. At the end of the day I love my CBR she i just so comfy who cares that a 600 is even with me.

Mine looks better Ha

Old 05-30-2008 | 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: stynkmonkey

And if you know a stunter with one buy it from him and save it.
That's exactly what I did. Had the smashed in tank, crash cage, wheelie bar and a hell of a sprocket on it then I bought it for $1700, stripped her down to frame, rebuilt the forks, got a new tank, new front wheel, took off all the stunk equipment and made her a nice street bike again. Actually in the process of repainting again for this summer, I'll be posting pics soon. I have all the stunt gear i took off it for sale if anyone's interested

Old 05-30-2008 | 12:26 PM

All things being equal (riders) it would be pretty close. There is no replacement for displacement. The 900 will always have more torque and that will play a role as speeds increase. Then again, there is no denying the weight difference.
I never had a problem with my 99 against any 600 and at the track.....poorly ridden 1000's didnt stand a chance but I can tell you that on the same track, my best lap time on the 900 is a WHOPPING 6 seconds slower than on my best on my 1000. Sick I know. Maybe I was wearing a skirt then? LOL

Old 06-05-2008 | 11:30 PM

With the rebuild you bike is as fast as you are brave or stupid.

In almost all the situations you will encounter on the street, your ability to ride it will be the difference betweenbeing in the front of the packor way in the back...

Quick Reply: 900rr vs. modern day bikes