CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

900RR electrical issues......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 900RR electrical issues......

Ok,
I've searched on here and in my haynes manual already, but I want the opinions of some of you guys on here who have dealt with this. I'm having electrical issues on my 95 900RR. I'm sure it's the stator or regulator, but I want to see what everyone thinks before I go tear everything apart to check it out. Sorry for the long post, i'm just frustrated right now.

I purchased a new battery about a year and a half ago. Things were fine up untill about 4 weeks ago. I was coming home from work one day and I noticed the bike was acting up somewhat. I came to a stop at a redlight and the bike died on me. So I pushed it to the side of the road and tried to start it. It was acting like the battery was dead. So I found someone to jump it and it fired right up. I rode the bike home and it was fine the whole way. I get to the house and shut the bike off and it started right back. I checked the battery and it was at 12.2 volts. So I pulled it out and put it on a charge overnight. The next morning the battery was sitting at 13.5 volts. I unhooked it from the charger and let it sit all day. When I came home it had dropped to 13.4 volts.

I let it sit for another two days just to see what the battery did. It stayed at 13.4 volts the whole time. So I put it back in the bike. With the battery in and the bike at idle, the volts read 12.9. When I reved the motor to 5 grand as the service manual said, the volts read 13.2. Low, but still in the good range.

So today, which is 4 weeks from the last issue i had, i'm on the way home and I stop to get gas. I fill up the tank and go to start the bike. Sure enough it's dead. It won't start at all. So my roommate comes out and brings jumper cables. Luckily I was close to the house. We jump it and it fires right up. We didn't let the bike charge, since we were going straight home. I gear up, and by the time I gear up, with the bike sitting at idle it died again. So we jump it again and let it charge for about 10 minutes. I managed to make it home ok.

Once I get home I check out the battery. It's at 12.2 volts again. With the battery in and reving the motor to 5 grand, it's only reading 12.6 volts. So obviously something is wrong. I'm charging the battery again overnight. Where should I start? Stator, regulator, or something else. Thanks in advance for the help & suggestions.
Chris

Old 05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 900RR electrical issues......

Just replaced my stator and regulator a week ago or less

It was regulator w/ my issues...bike died but wouldn't start up. It would ride either 30 miles straight or on and off for 4-6 hours. Replaced regulator and no problems since (replaced ststaor then I replaced regulator). Only $100 through cycletherapy so not bad...I didn't have a multimeter to check to see volts though