CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

1993 CBR900RR rear drive axle assembly gap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so the more I mull this **** sandwich over in my mind, The more I'm leaning towards something in the swingarm being bent/out of spec. This is mainly due to the unavailability of information for this problem; leads me to believe the problem is very unorthodox. Checking Ebay and asking about stock swingarm clearance. If that isn't the problem, its gotta be the sprocket hub (inquiring about measurements for that too) being the wrong size. Bearing and Wheel assembly is GOOD, cush rubbers GOOD. All parts are stock with the exception of the sprocket itself which looks aftermarket. Could that have something to do with it? The spacers are fine as well, the reason the bracket is rubbing is because of the crushed-down swingarm. Plain and simple. So new hub or new swing is what it boils down to at this point. UGH, what a headache...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Look, the problem is the spacer set up.

If the spacers were correct across the axel, you could not crush the swing arm at all. That aside, in order for the swing arm to have been out of spec in that way that would mean that someone would have bent the swing arm "open" which is not impossible but would have to be a million to one shot as there is not a single reason anyone would have ever done such a thing in addition to the fact that the force required to bend it open is probably ten times the amount needed to bent to closed.

Just by looking at the wheel set up I can clearly see fault is in the spacer set up. That means either you have the wrong ones, missing something internally, are in the wrong orientation OR you have the wrong rear wheel.

Any of those things should be a simple fix for any mechanic thats qualified to work on the bike in the first place, including making spacers to compensate for even the wrong model or year wheel. Stop over thinking it , its not that complicated.

Where are you located?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 PM

Ha, wish it was that simple mate. First off all, we've confirmed all the spacers are correct. I've pretty much determined now that the problem is the hub. It's the wrong size. You cant just throw spacers anywhere on the axle because the chain would be out of alignment. It's the hub. It's the only thing in the rear set up that I haven't identified as a stock part. Just ordered one from EBAY.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Alright nevermind. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Just got the sprocket, It looks the same. About to order axle with spacers and hope that together, it'll fix the problem. Boy some close up pics of peoples 900rr rear setup including sprocket and rotor side would be AMAZING right now...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Btw zaqwart, I'm in Bay Area.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM

In pic 2 & 3 of the ones you posted there is clearly a spacer or axle problem. There is not suppose to be any spacers outside of the swingarm. Your axle nut is tightened against a spacer which is clearly wrong. From the left it needs to go: axle, adjuster, swingarm, spacer, oil/dust seal, bearing, hub, bearing, LONG spacer inside rear wheel, bearing, oil/dust seal, spacer, swingarm, adjuster, washer, & last the axle nut. Hope this makes sense. There are no spacers outside the swingarm. When did all this happen? This didn't just happen all of a sudden in other words. Did you just purchace this bike like this? What year is the bike?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM

I purchased the bike (1993) like this and didn't know until I took it to my mechanic about the gap and the crushed swingarm. He made the outside washer to compensate for thread space. Now that I think about it, if everything else is correct, it must be the long spacer inside the wheel. The other spacers are correct and everything is stock. Where the hell do I start looking for one of those? I'm in the East bay area outside of Oakland.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Honda Motorcycle Parts & ATV Accessories OEM Dirt Sport Bike Scooter Cruiser Touring Parts Off Road Motorcycles ATVs Starter Motors Honda Parts Direct

look at the diagram it shows the complete set up with prices on each piece. the collar/spacer inside the wheel is around $20, brand new. take it all apart and compare what you have to the diagram.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Thank you Demon. I actually ordered the long spacer and the caliper side spacer from that site. Sweet business. I have a friend coming over with a stand and tools tonight to take it apart as you so authoritatively instructed. This will be resolved so help me. More to come.

Quick Reply: 1993 CBR900RR rear drive axle assembly gap