CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

16" tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16" tire recommendations

Hey guys, just wanting to see what you guys use on your 900RR's.

When I got my bike last spring, April '10, I was in need of a new set of tires. I ended up with a Pilot Power 2CT on the rear, and an IRC SP11F on the front. After seeing a video about the manufacture dates and old tires, I checked mine and the IRC was made in '04, so it was 7 years old. After some talking to with my local shop, I got a new front tire. The Bridgestone Battlax BT016.

I personally don't like the way it feels on my bike. It has about 600 miles on it now, and feels somewhat unstable to me, in turns and cornering at speed. Not sure what the issue is? Uneven wear, bad tire? Maybe it's just me? But I just wanted to see what you guys use? I know we are limited due to the 16" tire

I know some people say go with matching tires, but with the odd front tire it's hard to find matching tires. The 2CT rear ended up getting metal through the tire, so I went with a single compound Pilot Power and am happy. Being on a tight budget, wife, bills, kids, I don't have endless money to drop on expensive tires.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from Bridgestone to Dunlops. D207 -D208. Bike sat for a few years and this year when I put it back on road I went looking for tires. No more Qualifiers left out there (at least I couldn't find them anyway) and no Q2's made for 16" so I had to try something else.

16" choices were Avon VP2 Sport, Bridgestone BT-016, Conti Sport Attack, and Metzeler Sportec M3.

Best prices searching around - Avon and Conti were $250+ for the set, Bridgestone $225 and Metzeler $199. Prices seem to be a bit higher right now.

I had put Metzelers on my FJ1100 (years ago) and really liked them so I figured I'd try them again.

I like them. the feel is good. Unfortunately, being in SoFla right now I have had zero opportunity to test their ability in the twisties. my bike begs me for another trip back to the Gap. oh well, maybe next year.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Well, I have the bridgestone on right now, and I don't care for it too much. Last time I priced the Avon and Conti, the bike shop wanted closer to $200 for the Avon, front only and $250 for the Conti, front only. Didn't say much about the Metzeler.

Can't really afford to spend over $200 for one tire.

May look into the M3. I live up in the Pocono Mountains in NE PA so I have a lot of twists and turns on the back roads here. Wonder how well the tire grips going through the twisties. According to motorcycle superstore the M3 have great reviews and are the least expensive. That may be my new tire come spring. I have a brand new Pilot Power on the back so a whole set may not be in the picture.

Does have mixed brands affect performance? Don't really want to replace a brand new rear, just to have a matching set.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM

F3 wheel allows better choice of tires. I thought the f3 wheel swap was bolt on, no machining nothing. f3 is 17" wheel.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM

m3 front pilot power rear... i like

Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM

agree w/ FlatBlack. try the m3 front w/ your current rear. It will probably feel fine. If not, u can change the rear or try a different front at that point. If it works well, let us know.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
F3 wheel allows better choice of tires. I thought the f3 wheel swap was bolt on, no machining nothing. f3 is 17" wheel.
I was thinking about going that route too, wasn't sure how much effort would be required though. If its a direct swap I may look into that in the near future. Would it affect handling any? Would you notice the difference in size, or would it just feel the same?

Originally Posted by FLATBLACK740
m3 front pilot power rear... i like
Originally Posted by splash
agree w/ FlatBlack. try the m3 front w/ your current rear. It will probably feel fine. If not, u can change the rear or try a different front at that point. If it works well, let us know.
I think I am going to try this. It won't be until spring though, so a review won't be until then though. If I don't care for it, I may go the 17" route like coalminer frank suggested, for more options.

Thanks for all the input guys!! I appreciate it very much

Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
I was thinking about going that route too, wasn't sure how much effort would be required though. If its a direct swap I may look into that in the near future. Would it affect handling any? Would you notice the difference in size, or would it just feel the same?
1) Depends on the year of your bike, many are direct swaps.

2) Not in any negative way.

3) Drop the forks an inch and it will feel exactly the same.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
1) Depends on the year of your bike, many are direct swaps.

2) Not in any negative way.

3) Drop the forks an inch and it will feel exactly the same.
Mine is a 96 900RR. What year is the F3 that fits?

Thanks for your help and input by the way. Sorry if my noob questions are annoying.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Just today I was reading a SportRider Magazine from 1995 or 1996 with racing cbr 900 mods. One of the team owners said going to F3 wheel really doesnt do much because the circumfrince between the 17inch tire and the 16inch tire are about the same. The biggest advantage of swap to f3 wheel is you have more choices for tires.

Quick Reply: 16" tire recommendations