WTF is going on with my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is going on with my headlights?

Wondering if any of you have had this happen. I'm riding to work last night and I usually always ride with my brights on. When I'm riding with my dark tint visor especially (I know you're not supposed to do it at night, but I can see fine). So I get up on this guy's tail on a ramp, and I decide to turn my brights off so I'm not blinding the guy. When I go to switch them back, they don't come on!?! I turn the switch back to low, thinking WTF? I switch it back to high, and wait like 2 seconds and they flicker on. So then I'm thinking something is definitely wrong, and I turn it back to low, and try it again...same thing, they'll not come on for like 2 seconds, then they like flick on. So now I'm getting pissed, and just flicking the switch back and forth.

5 min later I'm at work, and they're working fine. What's up with that? Anyone had this problem before? See sig for my bike info. I'm thinking a short somewhere? My bike has been rained on the last couple of days, haven't had the chance to cover it up, cuz I'm using it basically as my daily driver, and don't want to cover it up if it's wet already. This just pisses me off though. What's going on?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Default RE: WTF is going on with my headlights?

that started happening to my old f4i. i think its just vibrations and whatnot causing a delay. other than that i have no idea.
vibrations would make sense tho.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM

I would be looking more into the relay itself, or even the switch. The only problem is that theissue needs to be occuring in order to test and condemeither component. I wouldn't worry about it until the bright stops working all together.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM

Definately sounds like the wet has got in somewhere and caused a short but i'm not so great at the electrical side of things..... may also be a bad earth contact? Definatley let us know when you're figured it out and sorted it.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the switch on the high beam. My 06 600RR did the same thing every so often. I would flip the high beam switch on, nothing. Sometimes it would flicker on, sometimes not. I found that if I go to turn the high beams on, if you snap the switch hard (or just a little more force than you normally would) with the end of your finger, they turn on fine. It just happens when you switch it on normally with average force.

Kind of hard to explain, but you get the idea. Hope this helps man.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Weird, thanks blue fox...It wasn't doing it tonight on me, but possibly it's cuz I was doing it hard.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Retired Moderator

^^ Yeah, I don't know what exactly causes it, but I've read on a few other forums about a very similar problem that ultimately causes the switch to just stop working altogether. The wires loose their connection and just need to be re soldered. My 06 never got that bad, and to be honest, I only applied just a little bit more pressure when clicking the switch on than normal and never really had that problem again. If I did switch on the high beam, and it wouldn't come on, I would switch it off, then back on again with a little more force than before and it would usually come on fine.

It hasn't happened with my 07, but with my 06 it did, but you kind of just get used to it like everything else.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Retired Moderator

Is the site getting better, or is it just me? I can post a 5 line comment without it loosing my connection! WOOOOO!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 AM

^^Nope it's fixed. We all breathe a sigh of relief. It's just I'd never heard of it happening, but I guess I haven't been around long enough. Anyhow, thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 PM

My 07 is doing the exact same thing. I usually ride with my brights on all the time, because I can and if they see them they see me and I won't die, but when I turned them off one day and then tried to turn them back on and that's when it started. But like all the other people have said, I just put the switch on with a little more force and it works as advertised.

Quick Reply: WTF is going on with my headlights?