Why i miss my KAWI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why i miss my KAWI

Ohh I'm sorry oak we completely hijacked your thread. Anyways I am not exactly positive of how long it takes for them to start making after market parts for the new models. I would assume sometime mid this year. I believe it just takes some companies to realise if either they have to revamp and make a new part or if there old part is still compatible with the new style.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM

You are all handier than me when it comes to motorcycle service. Trust me.. People would much rather buy a bike from someone who knows how to maintain the bike than for me to learn "how to" on a new one. So, that is why it makes sense for me to do it this way. I give credit to you for being able to service your bikes. I have a few tools and can lube/tighten chain. But that's the extent of my knowledge. At least for now.

ORIGINAL: Tacoma25

I'd rather have the dealer certify the work as opposed to some backyard mechanic that has no allegiance for the buyer.
I know you have a lot of good points, but I am willing to bet a lot of the techs at a motorcycle dealership aren't really certified in anything. However, I am an ASE Certified Master Technician, and I do all of my work. I kept my last bike for a year, and they didn't even want to see reciepts I had for anything I had done to it. I kind of wonder if you can rack up enough in service for the two years you own a bike to matter in the long run. In the end, they probably know you pretty well by now, and they know you probably take good care of your bike, so they give you top dollar for trades anyways. Not trying to argue with anyone, but I am not a "backyard" mechanic, I do my stuff in the garage, lol.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Is it really necessary to have a Clymer manual to help you change your oil? If it's an 08, I don't think there's going to be any type of major maintenance that you would have to worry about for a while. And hell, if you need help changing your oil I can guide you in how to do that lol.

But everyone has their own taste in bike manufacturer.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Changing the oil is one thing. But, they do a lot more than that on these scheduled maintenance intervals. Another reason why I let them do it. I can just imagine what other areas of the bike a backyard mechanic would forget to perform. Peace of mind. Ah yes.
ORIGINAL: slip_

Is it really necessary to have a Clymer manual to help you change your oil? If it's an 08, I don't think there's going to be any type of major maintenance that you would have to worry about for a while. And hell, if you need help changing your oil I can guide you in how to do that lol.

But everyone has their own taste in bike manufacturer.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM

I realize that, but he just got a 08 600RR.. What major maintenance is there that's next that he's going to have to worry about for a while? And what does that require? Air filter change? Spark plug change? Those things are rather easy to do without a Clymer manual. I mean, there is a lot of information between this forum and cbrworld that anyone could easily access any information that they'd need if they were interested in performing their own maintenance on their bike.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Not being capable of performing the maintenance is one thing. Being 100% sure that the dealer did all that is never really 100% either. Someone could be having a bad/busy day... skip a few steps... and you wouldn't know because you weren't standing over their shoulder the entire time. This is the motivation for most of us to do our own work when we can. You can be 100% sure you did stuff right and ask a question on here if you think otherwise.

The 07-08 are not so drastically different in design, besides internals being different sizes/makes of metal and different body work attachment points, that you couldn't get the gist of what you needed to do from an older manual online. Taking my girl apart is one of the things that makes me feel more attached to her.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM

I prefer the factory service manual over the Clymer manuals. I will add that I miss a few things about my Ninja 650R. I liked the low-end, usable power range, and it was easier to work on. Other than that, I like my Honda a lot better.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 AM

apparantly a 600mi maintance acording to North county house of motorcycles in vista cali..is oil & filter change..easy...replacing the o ring and crush(lock) wASHER for the oil drain and tightining everything up..i can do that ive been doing that myself for ever.. i was in no mean bashing this bike..its just that everything to do with it is a fricken pain in the ***..not only do i not think the oil needs to be changed at 600mi, but i pretty much have no idea what needs to be tighten or the torque specs for what does (hence why i;d like to have a clymer manual) plus i would much rather do all my own maintenance, because as per what a few of you have said dealers are not only overpriced but are not necesarily ASe cert. nor do they love and pamper the bike as would the owner.so the only thing that i originally said that no 1 has hit on my main dislike for the bike is the redline and the high rpm in which it likes to be ridden at. my 7r's redline was at 12500 the cbr is 15000 i believe maybe 15500..not 100% sure..nor does the 600 have the torque that a 750 does but thats to be accepted...i didnt want a liter bike and im not a fan of the gixxer..its to bad the 750's died its a bad *** size..this is bike isnt even comparable to the 7r in technical riding, the 60rr is ridiculously easy and fun to throw in to a canyon..

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM

that first service isn't much for your honda. Just mainly an oil/filter change and adjust the chain. You'll look over the bike but there isn't any throttle sync or anything so it should cost less than your kawi to service. Those still run carbs and you had to sync them, and if you had the fuel screw plugs off tweak out on the mixture to get a good smooth idle. But yeah your kawi is going to have way more torque. That is what i miss about my older 95 ZX-6R, didn't rev as high, bunch of low end torque and just a good looking bike without all the emissions crap and simple wiring. Sorta like working on a old muscle car compared to todays compact rice rocket with barely any room to stick a wrench and a hand to work on. I love all brands of motorcycles. I think italian bikes are great looking, they have style, just not practical as a daily rider. Japanese has some style, but sometimes just makes you think...."what were they thinking!!" But ultra reliable and will continue to run even when they are all clapped out.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM

You can put your trust in a dealership if you want to but them bastards with never touch my bike again. Cracked my air box, left off countless fasteners, told them to check my chain and sprocket because it was popping and stretched, they said it was good to go, I knew better. And three days after, my brand new front tire was flat because the didn't tighten the valve stem valve all the way. All to the sum of $700. I've sence picked up a factory service manual and do my own work. If you've got some decent tools and can follow directions it's a snap. In my experiences I'd be leary about buying a bike thats been touched by any dealership around here.

Quick Reply: Why i miss my KAWI