Why i miss my KAWI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why i miss my KAWI

I have the dealership do all my service. So, when I go to trade/sell my bike, (like I have for my past two Honda's), I have records of such service/repairs. I have gotten top dollar this way.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Did your top dollar sale offset what you paid at the dealer? I keep records at home with receipts for oil, filter, etc, and dates of changes along with mileage in a folder. I also keep a piece of paper in their where I record misc. things like chain cleanings and cable lubes.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Same thing I do with my cage might not be done by a stealership but at least I keep all receipts and service dates. +1

Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 PM

okay..i normally would do all of my own maintenancw because i hate people i dont know touching my vehicles, im very un trusting when it comes to them..how ever all of my tools are in nor cal at my pops because i dont have room for them at my barracks...not to mention there is no clymer service manual to help me out..i understand this is a cbr forum, but bashing me for missing my old bike is lame..no taste? this bike has a lot of lil quirks im gonna have to get used to..no doubt this bike would smoke the 7r in acceleration and probably technical riding as well..its a helluv a lot easier to drag knee with this bike then the 7r..the parts thing how long does it take? i mean there the same as 07's ..

Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Hmm. So, you have a receipt that states YOU changed the oil and did the service? Something I would find suspect if I were interested in purchasing your bike. Just a thought. And yes! I buy a new bike every two years or so. Top dollar trade.
ORIGINAL: FireStourm

Same thing I do with my cage might not be done by a stealership but at least I keep all receipts and service dates. +1

Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: skical

Hmm. So, you have a receipt that states YOU changed the oil and did the service? Something I would find suspect if I were interested in purchasing your bike. Just a thought. And yes! I buy a new bike every two years or so. Top dollar trade.

Again, do you have proof that what you paid at the dealer for service is offset by the increased trade in value? You are the type of customer a dealer will take care of. A new bike every two years with all service completed by said dealer is a practice that does not happen often and is not something most people can afford. It may mean you look at our bikes as 'suspect' but you'd buy your bike from the dealer anyways. I'd find it very confidence inspiring to find someone who keeps great records even if they're not dealer records. It doesn't take a certified Honda tech to change the oil in a bike or tighten a chain. Most of the time, the oil change guys at the dealer are newbs. I'd rather do it myself and KNOW that I triple checked everything because I'm the one who depends on the bike being in proper operating condition.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM

You make some good points. But, if I were buying a bike... I'd rather have the dealer certify the work as opposed to some backyard mechanic that has no allegiance for the buyer. At least a used buyer can go back to the dealership and point to dealer maintained records. And Yes, I pay cash for my bikes and have a great relationship with the dealer. They would rather take my trade than some shady service records. We can agree to disagree on this one.

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Again, do you have proof that what you paid at the dealer for service is offset by the increased trade in value? You are the type of customer a dealer will take care of. A new bike every two years with all service completed by said dealer is a practice that does not happen often and is not something most people can afford. It may mean you look at our bikes as 'suspect' but you'd buy your bike from the dealer anyways. I'd find it very confidence inspiring to find someone who keeps great records even if they're not dealer records. It doesn't take a certified Honda tech to change the oil in a bike or tighten a chain. Most of the time, the oil change guys at the dealer are newbs. I'd rather do it myself and KNOW that I triple checked everything because I'm the one who depends on the bike being in proper operating condition.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 PM

You're right on that. I would never buy from a backyard mechanic either. When I say, backyard mechanic, I refer to guys who are just fixing bikes up to sell not to ride. Now, a person who owned a bike for many many miles and kept records is a bit different because they are dependant on their own work. It all depends on the person and situation. I understand your concerns and why you go to the dealer.

You make some good points. But, if I were buying a bike... I'd rather have the dealer certify the work as opposed to some backyard mechanic that has no allegiance for the buyer. At least a used buyer can go back to the dealership and point to dealer maintained records. And Yes, I pay cash for my bikes and have a great relationship with the dealer. They would rather take my trade than some shady service records. We can agree to disagree on this one.

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM

I am also sorry I didnt mean actual "service" dates like at a mechanic I meant like the days I did the oil change and what not. So that way they can tell how often I did them. Plus I consider my way of doing it a lot better compared to so many jack asses that dont even do any service to their vehicles what so ever. Being able to at least point out what youve done and your knowlegable about what needs to be done at what intervals WILL help you in selling it.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I'd rather have the dealer certify the work as opposed to some backyard mechanic that has no allegiance for the buyer.
I know you have a lot of good points, but I am willing to bet a lot of the techs at a motorcycle dealership aren't really certified in anything. However, I am an ASE Certified Master Technician, and I do all of my work. I kept my last bike for a year, and they didn't even want to see reciepts I had for anything I had done to it. I kind of wonder if you can rack up enough in service for the two years you own a bike to matter in the long run. In the end, they probably know you pretty well by now, and they know you probably takegoodcareof your bike, so they give you top dollar for trades anyways. Not trying to argue with anyone, but I am not a "backyard" mechanic, I do my stuff in the garage, lol.

Quick Reply: Why i miss my KAWI