Why Doesn't Honda Just Calibrate Right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Doesn't Honda Just Calibrate Right?

Hearing all the talk about Speed-O-Healer, etc. Why doesn't Honda just calibrate the speed & odometer right out of the box for us? Is there a good reason not to?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Default RE: Why Doesn't Honda Just Calibrate Right?

For all intensive purposes your speedometer is correct unless you have changed your sprockets or tire sizes.
Your computer has no way of knowing how you have changed your drive train ratios. It is only calibrated for the stock RPM's and sprocket sizes. The speedo healer is not really necessary if you have not changed your sprocket ratios or tire sizes.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: liljoec

For all intensive purposes your speedometer is correct unless you have changed your sprockets or tire sizes.
Your computer has no way of knowing how you have changed your drive train ratios. It is only calibrated for the stock RPM's and sprocket sizes. The speedo healer is not really necessary if you have not changed your sprocket ratios or tire sizes.
OK. Appreciate the info. Mine is box stock of course only 3 weeks old. I just figured since everyone was talking about errors that they were built in OEM. I'm sure at higher speeds north of 100 mph that the speeds are invalid?? But for typical highway cruising speeds they are close???

With this knowledge trying to avoid tickets too of course.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 AM

yeah, I too have heard that your speedo is off at high speeds but I have never met anyone who said that it was off that had any proof of it. But definitely no worries at the speed limit level.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: liljoec

not trying to be a grammar dork, but "intensive purposes" is really "intents and purposes." The rest of your answer was great

Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 PM

nerd alert!! haha jk

Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Default hmmmmm

Your first post DFul4d and u have 2 crack on other members, not off to a good start. =) just kidding man, welcome to the forum.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Default RE: hmmmmm

I know and I feel bad for doing it, but I would want someone to tell me so I could do something the right way moving forward. I have been reading and learning a lot on this forum. Hopefully my first post can return the favor and teach something

Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 AM

lol.. welcome to the forum DFul4d i see you're from atlanta. we've got several members in that area. i used to live in alpharetta... will be there end of the month as a matter of fact.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks, I love your bike. I am looking to buy a 03-06 600RR and I have been leaning towards black or red, but seeing pics of your blue bike has made me think twice.

Quick Reply: Why Doesn't Honda Just Calibrate Right?