who knows how to power shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so im the olny a$$hole here that clutchless shifts? I let off a bit and shift up , no big deal, i dont downshift with out the clutch tho, that is hard on the tranny,, or am i the olny one to admit it? sorry , it may be harder on components but damm i love to powershift, and the next poor owner can fix all that i destroyed....i know, i know ,here it comes.....

Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of it this way. Would you rather replace the brakes or tranny/clutch? Brakes don't wear out that fast and they are not expensive. I replace the brakes on my 91 f2 last summer and they were still the original pads or at the very least 4 years old. Only cost me $90 since I did it myself.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM

when I learned how to drive trucks, we always called it floating the gears. having the rpm just right so you don't have to use clutch in the next gear. that is for up and down shifting, makes it A LOT easier to drive a big truck when you don't have to double clutch it. AND I HAVE done it on my bike. But always at lower rpms, and bliping the gas so I can shift back down so it doesn't grind. Also done that on a lot of sports cars I have driven when I don't feel like using the clutch. However 85% of the time I use my clutch, like the good boy I am.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bambam
so im the olny a$$hole here that clutchless shifts?
It is my understanding that clutchless shifting is different than power shifting. I use clutchless upshifting all the time on the street. It is fun and easy once you get the hang of it. If done right there is no damage to the trans. It sounds pretty nice, too.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
It is my understanding that clutchless shifting is different than power shifting. I use clutchless upshifting all the time on the street. It is fun and easy once you get the hang of it. If done right there is no damage to the trans. It sounds pretty nice, too.
I wouldn't say there is NO damage to the trans, though damage is a harsh word. but it's by no means GOOD for the trans. The best option is the clutch. Although I am also guilty in the clutchless category...

Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yep, it's certainly possible.
Good for the trans?

Please explain powershifting down to me.

Maybe you misunderstood for a clutchless shift?

Because a powershift is never letting off the gas...

Old 05-26-2010, 01:52 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by brveagle
Please explain powershifting down to me.

Maybe you misunderstood for a clutchless shift?

Because a powershift is never letting off the gas...
powershift is jamming on the gear to get it to change

clutchless shifting is putting just enough pressure on the clutch it changes on its own at its own selection of rpm

where as in power shifting ur just forcing it to shift when u want it to...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Sorry to burst everybodys bubble but power shifting is shifting without letting go of the trottle. Thats why they call it power shifting because your under full trottle and full power all the time. What you all are discribing is clutchless shifting and not power shifting. I used to powershift my race car untill I got a clutchless transmission. When you powershift a bike you shift using the clutch but under full trottle all the time. Johnnyh

Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Before anybody disagrees with me Google it and look at wikipedia and you will find the meaning of powershifting. Johnnyh

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Wikipedia is not a reliable source. However, you CAN use the clutch but the general idea is to stay at full throttle other wise you would just end up grinding gears. Hate to burst your bubble. Undercutting gears in a tranny and not using clutch can happen but not using the clutch when you are in the high RPM range with a stock tranny will ruin it quick

Quick Reply: who knows how to power shift