wheelies r us

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelies r us

I have an 05 600rr and I LOVE it!! However, I've never honestly pulled a complete wheelie on one of these bikes before. I have on a dirt bike but even that was long ago. I don't really want to jack up my new bike, but still want to be able to play. Any suggestions? thanks. P.S. I know this might sound really lame to some, but try to be as forgiving as possible! LOL<

Old 05-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: wheelies r us

You got enough ponies to power that bad boy up without any gearing changes. Probably common sense kicks in at some point and you start shifting weight over the tank or end up letting off the throttle early. If you want to ride on one wheel take it to 25-30mph in first and then wide open throttle. As the front wheel rises avoid the temptation to lean forward or let off the throttle.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 05 just turned 200 miles. Prior to a few days ago I also have only done wheelies on dirt bikes before I bought the 600rr. After reading some posts on different wheelie techniques I decided to give it a try. I am just a beginner myself so I welcome the experts to correct any advice I am giving.

What I did was just start out in 1st gear then I got on the throttle enough to feel the bike pulling me forward, I’m not to sure of the speed I was at but like chainstretcher said it was probably about 25-30 MPH. After feeling the bike really start to pull I totally let off the throttle to let the front end compress then I quickly opened up the throttle again. The front wheel started to come up and did to about 18 to 24 inches. I started to get scared to I let off the throttle and let the bike down hard.

After practicing a bit today in fact I have since learned that if I work the throttle quick enough then hold it open long enough in the bike will have no choice but to lift the front end. I suggest finding an open wide road or long open parking lot to practice in, not at a red light amongst other traffic. In my "professional" opinion if you gain the attention of the police, it pays big to be away from any bystandards so you can say that you were trying to be responsible by practicing away from the general public. Try to have a second rider or a friend with you incase you do get hurt and can't call for help. As far a losing it these bikes are so stable in my opinion the only real way to loose it is if you let the bike continue up an over. The bike is not going to get side to side squirrelly on you. I think, like me, you will be to concerned about letting it go over the top that you naturally won't let it. If you think it might go past 12 you have many options, 1. Let off the throttle, 2. Use the rear brake, 3. Lean forward, 4. Grab the clutch. It might be obvious to some but just take your time and think it though. Practice the technique I described above gently at first knowing you are not using enough power to get the front wheel off the ground then get more aggressive with it as you get more comfortable. I also recommend guarding the rear brake from the very first time you start so it will become more natural to use the brake while you have power applied to let the front down gently. I wasn't guarding the brake and that is one reason I let the front down harder then I would have liked.

Hope this helps

Adam

Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 AM

I don't recommaned 1st gear for 3 reasons, especially on a 600.

1. It winds out too fast, shifting from 1st to second in a wheelie is not that simple.
2. by the time your front end comes up in 1st and you let off the gas, you will come down too damn quick. Saw a guy bust his ferring once in a parking lot. lol.
3. You need intertia. At 35 MPH when the front wheel liftsthe bike will tend to lean to the left or right. inertia at 40 is just fine.

I have been practicing in 2nd. I try it 2 ways. Start at 40 and open it wide up. Or start at 40 let off the throttle and then goose it. I like the first way better. No surprises.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:46 AM

ORIGINAL: RRip

I don't recommaned 1st gear for 3 reasons, especially on a 600.

1. It winds out too fast, shifting from 1st to second in a wheelie is not that simple.
2. by the time your front end comes up in 1st and you let off the gas, you will come down too damn quick. Saw a guy bust his ferring once in a parking lot. lol.
3. You need intertia. At 35 MPH when the front wheel liftsthe bike will tend to lean to the left or right. inertia at 40 is just fine.

I have been practicing in 2nd. I try it 2 ways. Start at 40 and open it wide up. Or start at 40 let off the throttle and then goose it. I like the first way better. No surprises.
At 40, you're seriously looking at getting jacked up if you mess up. Most bikes have a natural tendency to lean to one side, regardless of speed. i know guys who do freeway wheelies and most still have to lean to one side. This can catch most people off guard. 1st gear is still controlled enough for beginners, but you won't kill the bike if you screw up.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:56 PM

Wheelies on this bike are friggen easy. I got mine last week, 05 with the tribal flames, and popped my first wheelie on accident. My sis has an 03 yellow RR and the 05 changes to the intake and exhaust system give way more midband. I would definately reccomend 2nd gear for all your wheelie needs. 1st gear is harsh and you can flip backward if you start too slow. If i speed shift into 2nd i always can get it to lift up easily. I take it to about 60-70 for wheelies. You can hold them alot longer at higher speeds. Start your wheelie just blip the throttle in 2nd at 55 and pin it to WOT and it will pull up nice and smoothe.

Make sure you are wearing full gear if you haven't got the hang of it. I need to buy some sliders for this thing. Imma lay off the wheelies for a minute because i only have 300 miles on it from the last week. The powerband on this bike is so smoothe and theres plenty of it there. Lovin it.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:27 PM

thanks for the info. I agree about the comment on the fast wheelies hurting worse! about the sliders....where and how much?

Old 06-29-2005, 04:22 PM

I can wheelie in first for a joke but I am having allot of trouble in second Gear what rpm are you starting at anything else you are doing besides just opening the throttle full? I had a 02 F4i down one in the front I ould do second gears pretty good but I can't seem to get this RR to lift off the ground very much any ideas would be great thank you Josh

Old 06-29-2005, 07:07 PM

I'm too fat to wheelie. The last time I tried the bike looked up at me and said "you're joking right?"

Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr Bling

I can wheelie in first for a joke but I am having allot of trouble in second Gear what rpm are you starting at anything else you are doing besides just opening the throttle full? I had a 02 F4i down one in the front I ould do second gears pretty good but I can't seem to get this RR to lift off the ground very much any ideas would be great thank you Josh
If you want to learn to do true wheelie, try clutching them. You can pull it up between 10-20mph rather than 40-50. It takes m ore skill but gives better control when you learn how and also allows you to pull a wheelie at any speed and 1st or 2nd gear. Try this:

ride at about 15-20mph.
as you're riding, pull the clutch and rev up to about 7k rpm.
let off the gas quickly and rev it up again immediately before the revs drop all the way.
on the second rev pop the clutch and hit the gas simultaneously.
the second rev shouldn't go any higher than the first or you'll have too much power kicking in.
you need to make sure you're not revving too high or you're asking for trouble.
practice at about 5k to start until you get the feel of it. the front end should pop up if you're popping the clutch right

best thing is to watch a stunt video and you will hear the double rev. This method was taught to me by a stunt group I am with, so I'm not just guessing. I personally haven't gotten the full hang of this yet, but they told me the quickest one to get it took about a week or so, but it normally takes a while. just make sure one rev comes right after the other to keep the rpm up.. I'll post a vid when i can to let you listen.

Quick Reply: wheelies r us