What to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for

Cheers ya'll. Im going to go look at an 03 600RR this weekend, and I am wondering what to look for?? Like how do I tell if its a deal or a lemon. Sure Honda = Gold, but really, what mechanically cosmetically do I look at to determine if I should $ it or not? Heres what I do know so you dont have to type more..

Obvious damage, bent levers scratched plastics, engine cover whatever.
Forks should be shiney and not pitted.
Tires should be worn consistantly, no like burn out patches or signs of racing. Chicken lips = good
Racing pins --I cant explain what they are or where they are..I just saw a pic somewheres..

It only has 8000 Kms on it, and I had asked in another post how the tires look, and got mixed responses...Majority was there ok...

Im sure there are many more things to look at, but without taking it to a shop to get an inspection..what should I look at to avoid the potential ---omg..thats really bad..you bought that...sucka!! I know all the legat stuff, like see if its stolen, check the VIN if there are any leans against it, and that stuff. The guy says he can get the maintenance records for 1k and 6k service, and he is the 1st owner, and had mentioned he had broke the bike in as per the manual. I asked him what would need to be done if he were to keep the bike, he sayd nothing. Hes seling it to $$ a truck for work. Never stunted or raced. 8000K on it, asking $7500 ( Thats CANADIAN DOLLARS ) Im excited..but dont wanna be too eager. ( Its shiney!..Ill take it. ) I could go new 06 cbr 600RR or $10800.00 but really..if the 03 is clean, why spend 3 grand more. Thanks yall.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Default RE: What to look for

ORIGINAL: sUshI

Cheers ya'll. Im going to go look at an 03 600RR this weekend, and I am wondering what to look for?? Like how do I tell if its a deal or a lemon. Sure Honda = Gold, but really, what mechanically cosmetically do I look at to determine if I should $ it or not? Heres what I do know so you dont have to type more..

Obvious damage, bent levers scratched plastics, engine cover whatever.
Forks should be shiney and not pitted.
Tires should be worn consistantly, no like burn out patches or signs of racing. Chicken lips = good
Racing pins --I cant explain what they are or where they are..I just saw a pic somewheres..

It only has 8000 Kms on it, and I had asked in another post how the tires look, and got mixed responses...Majority was there ok...

Im sure there are many more things to look at, but without taking it to a shop to get an inspection..what should I look at to avoid the potential ---omg..thats really bad..you bought that...sucka!! I know all the legat stuff, like see if its stolen, check the VIN if there are any leans against it, and that stuff. The guy says he can get the maintenance records for 1k and 6k service, and he is the 1st owner, and had mentioned he had broke the bike in as per the manual. I asked him what would need to be done if he were to keep the bike, he sayd nothing. Hes seling it to $$ a truck for work. Never stunted or raced. 8000K on it, asking $7500 ( Thats CANADIAN DOLLARS ) Im excited..but dont wanna be too eager. ( Its shiney!..Ill take it. ) I could go new 06 cbr 600RR or $10800.00 but really..if the 03 is clean, why spend 3 grand more. Thanks yall.
[align=left][/align]
I would have him start the bike up let it warm up and rev it a few times look for leaks like oil etc...and don't forget to check his gauge/meters make sure nothing negative stays lit.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Check for scratches and scuffs in places that are often missed...for example, fold the pegs up and look at the BACK of them...i've seen many bikes that people have claimed "never been down" yet you can see scratches in places like this. Are the scrape nuts on the underside of the pegs still there? Check the bar ends, underside of brake/clutch levers, underside of mirrors. Also, if you are told that scratches are from a bike being "knocked over" or "dropped", pay attention to the scratches. If they are directional--front to back, diagonal, etc---then the bike was not sitting still lol. Also, missing decals can sometimes be the result of a drop or repair (but not always).

I wouldn't say that having chicken strips on a bike is necessarily good. I've seen alot of bikes that have huge strips because their owners are always tearin *** in a straight line racin someone. Also check the underside of the bike for large pieces of rubber, indicating tire spin faster than just "normal" riding (i.e. burnouts? lol)

These are just a few things to check. Ultimately it comes down to how much you trust the guy you are buying it off of.
Good luck!

-Adam

Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Thanks yall. Apparently the guy that selling the bike is a good friend of a guy that I work with ( go figure ) and he tells me the bike is pampered. So yea I think I am safe. Thans for the input Ill use that info anyways. Cheers!!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still a friend of a friend mang!
my uncle just got took for large amounts of money from a great friend in an investment scam...

check the edge of the bars, levers, swingarm, case covers, etc. to look for signs of tip over, etc.