What kind of gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 05:29 PM
Default RE: What kind of gas

I use 87 for daily commute, and on long fast trips, I put 91/93 for performance and cleaning any impurities in the engine.

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:12 PM

so many fuel threads ive read in my life... 93 for me, no complaints. costs about 10 cents more per gallon than 87. SO WHAT

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:25 PM

If I had access to a dyno, I would love to put this to rest once and for all. One run at the octain level speced by honda (87 for most) andone run at 93. ButI don't...

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Woody6799

If I had access to a dyno, I would love to put this to rest once and for all. One run at the octain level speced by honda (87 for most) andone run at 93. ButI don't...

I've done it... but some still don't listen. But I guess higher octane = lighter wallet = faster bike in some peoples minds. Or you get the "it has more detergents or cleaners in it" B.S.

Here's what I wrote up on another forum. Why I never posted it here don't know...

When I had my 03 race bike, I spent a day on the dyno doing some quick "what-if" tuning with my engine tuner...
2003 Stock motor W/ slip-on, race filter.
87 pump = Just under 99hp
90 pump = Just over 98hp
92 pump = Just under 97hp
100 "pump race" = just under 98hp.
U4 race gas (92 octane) = Just over 100hp

So with a stock engine (internals) running an oxygenated race gas (U4) only gave a bit more than 1 hp over 87 pump. Just running AV gas or high octance "pump" race gas even when mapped actaully lost a bit of power. After I added a full system and got it custom mapped I was consistanly getting around 2hp more over 87 pump. So that helped a bit but not much.

But on my 2005 race bike with a "suspersport" built motor, and all the bolt on goodies. I'm seeing a difference of about 4 hp between 92 pump (That's the lowest I can run becuase of the supersport motor work) and U4. The only place I really notice the difference (on the lamp timer) is at tracks with really LONG straights and losts of WFO throttle, like Road America. At smaller tracks there is no real difference that I've noticed, by my butt dyno or the lap times.

Old 02-22-2008 | 06:08 PM

So you actually are losing small fractions of power changing octanes, factory spec is 87, and gas is $3+ a gallon... i think the answer is pretty clear and has been most of the time....

Old 02-22-2008 | 08:10 PM

Pop quiz hot shot-I was almost out of gas and had to use (big gasp) 86 octane from this little *****y country store. I only put in about a gallon and a half. 91 is the highest we can get around here. I still had about a half gallon or so of 91, is this going to have any long or short term effects. On the way home i couldn't tell any difference at speeds at or maybe a little above the posted speed limit. So any answers? nitwit out.

Old 02-22-2008 | 10:48 PM

I have heard both arguements for sometime. I've used from Regular thru Premium & didn't see any major difference. So I primarily use Mid (89) & Premium on track days.

Old 02-23-2008 | 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: 420cbr

Pop quiz hot shot-I was almost out of gas and had to use (big gasp) 86 octane from this little *****y country store. I only put in about a gallon and a half. 91 is the highest we can get around here. I still had about a half gallon or so of 91, is this going to have any long or short term effects. On the way home i couldn't tell any difference at speeds at or maybe a little above the posted speed limit. So any answers? nitwit out.
No Problems.

Guess how gas stations with three octanes of gas get the middle octane with only 2 holding tanks... Yep, they mix the lower octane with the high octane.

Old 05-04-2008 | 06:39 AM

So many wives tales and theories on here. Use what the manual recommends. If the manual says regular unleaded and you use premium, you are only giving the oil criminals more money.That is because the engine is designed and built for regular and nothing higher makes any difference at all. It is afact of engine design. Don't listen to these guys here, they are like people who buy4 wheel drive trucks that never leave thestreet.

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

....not to bring back a dead post...but wow...holy morons.....[:@]

To be honest I seached this topic b/c I know there are alot of misconceptions on what gas to use out there and I wanted to see if the people on this board more or less had it straight. I see some of you do, but I see others are fighting tooth and nail with "info" that to me is just ignorant. Like the other day I was in a Cycle Gear store...and one guy behind the counter asked the other if it was okay to mix conventional and synth motor oils....he said no you can't. I wanted to reach over that counter and slap them both.[:'(] I told them you can mix the two and there are no problems. I asked them where they heard the wive's tale about the oil, the one guys said from this other guy he knows....I told him if he really wants to know the truth, you can look it up online and see the science and the facts that there are no problems with mixing the two. He looked at me like I had two heads....I dropped it at that point. [:'(]
What you said is not completely true. Mixing some castor based synthetic oils with ANY other oil, non castor based synthetic or dino oil can cause a reaction with the castor which can gum up the works a bit.

There are still a few castor based synthetics out there. I used one in my KTM dirtbike for a while.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas