What the f**k

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the f**k

so i take my bike in to get a new tire put on and i ask the guy at the counter if he could just top off my oil. i was like a half quart low so i figured it would be no problem, he said fine so i tell him it takes 10w40 . he writes it down and i leave . i come to pick the bike up all is well , i get home look at the receipt and it says they put 20w50 in. what a bunch of dumbasses. anyway my funds are tapped and cant afford to change the oil. do you guys think ill be ok with the mix and remeber its only half a quart. i dont no i think it should be fine but just never no. thanks for any help.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll be fine.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem mixing the oils.
All will be well.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 AM

Hey.....I'm not an expert but i have some good knowledge regarding lubricants as in our country wer'e agents for castrol lubricants (recommended by honda)! In my opinion it's not a good thing....first of all 20w50 is mineral oil & 10w40 is synthetic oil & should NEVER be mixed. If it was mine i wouldn't risk it & drain the oil & change the oil filter!!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JOS777
Hey.....I'm not an expert but i have some good knowledge regarding lubricants as in our country wer'e agents for castrol lubricants (recommended by honda)! In my opinion it's not a good thing....first of all 20w50 is mineral oil & 10w40 is synthetic oil & should NEVER be mixed. If it was mine i wouldn't risk it & drain the oil & change the oil filter!!
+1.... its not what you asked for, so why incur an expense for them messing up

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Take it back and tell them its their mistake, and you would like them to change the oil and filter at their expense. If they give you a hard time about it, simply say, " that's too bad, because I would've been bringing my bike to you for all my service needs, but now I'll be taking my buisness elsewhere" The fact that it may be ok to run your bike like like that doesn't trump the fact that they screwed up, and even if they don't do it, you will feel better having them know that they lost your buisness because of it.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by JOS777
Did you just say all 10w40 oil is synthetic?

Since when

Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 AM

Not all 10w40 oil is synthetic, example car oils 10w40 are synthetic based (semi-synthetic).....motorcycle oils are different in fact car oils are used as engine oil only & motorcycle oils (4stroke) are trizone as used as an engine, clutch & gear oil all in one! According to the link provided by HANGFIRE re: amsoil motorcycle oil, there is a 20w50 synthetic oil but it's not recommended for honda, 10w40 is recommended by honda (check amsoil recommendations as well). So the point is exactly as SHADOWFAX said, if that's not what you've asked for take it back & tell them it's their mistake......still i don't like the fact of mixing oils especially of different grades & if it was mine I would change it! That's my opinion than it's up the bike's owner eh

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

If you had synthetic and they put non synthetic I would drain it out and make them replace my oil and filter.