What are delrin Spools?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are delrin Spools?

Help a Noobie!! I'm about to buy some motorcycle stands & wanted to know what delrin spools are???

http://www.checkeredflagmotorsports....dsnewpage.html

Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Default RE: What are delrin Spools?

I am assuming that the spools are what attach to the swing arm and forks so the stand has something to be place on. derlin is a dense plastic.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Delrin is what most frame sliders are made out of. So these spools are probably just small swingarm sliders.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 AM

they look exactly like mini frame sliders. You can get two different kinds of stands. one that just adjust to the width of the swing arm and the other one you need the spools. i prefer the spools but it is all up to personal preferance.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Retired Administrator

Delrin is the brand name for an acetal resin engineering plastic invented and sold by DuPont. Often marketed and used as a metal substitute, Delrin is a lightweight, low-friction, and wear-resistant plastic capable of operating in temperatures in excess of 90 degrees celsius (approx 200 degrees Fahrenheit).

Here's a pic of what my Delrin sliders look like. You can see in the first pic they will help in the event of a slide to keep my swing arm off the pavement. I was a fan of the spool stands as well, but I had to make my stand universal to work on my neighbors bike and it's actually more stable [:@] so I'm not sure any more. I was always told the 600RR swing arm would accommodate a universal stand because it's not the same on each side. And it is off by a little, half an inch higher on the clutch side. I had to use jack stand once in a pinch to swap a sprocket and it leaned to the clutch side and made me uncomfortable. So I bought the spool stands... but if you use a universal far enough back where the spools are threaded on, it sits level []

Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  46.4 KB

And up close

Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  54.2 KB

Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks all for the excellent info & pictures. So it appears you leave the spools on for swingarm protection? Or can you take them back off easily? They screw on??

I'm learning!!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

Thanks all for the excellent info & pictures. So it appears you leave the spools on for swingarm protection? Or can you take them back off easily? They screw on??
Very detailed description of Derlin plastic Don...I've never put so much thought into these things...[&:]

These spools are a pivot point for your rear stand and also substitute for a slider that protects the swing arm and you leave them on.

Here's proof that they work as a slider:

Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Retired Administrator

Yes... the bolt/screw on with a hex head bolt. You leave them on for the added protection.

pss... I copied and pasted DuPont’s write up on what Delrin is.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Sounds like the way to go then. Get easy application of the stands + some swingarm protection. Sounds like a win/win situation.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Noticed the CBRForum sticker on the swinger, nice.

Quick Reply: What are delrin Spools?