went to purchase first bike 600rr, but need your help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el_matatan
aww man i love the input guys!!! im going to respond to everyone lol

@77vetteguy: I understand...due to my inexperience with bikes but knowledge of cars, its sometimes a red flag when a car has ALOT of miles for its year...kbb suggested for it to have about 6500 miles for an 07'....but i will take your word for it...just in case though as far as year/mileage when is it a real concern? ohh and i searched for the tires you suggested but theres a bunch of numbers to the tire how do i know which one goes with mine? for example on amazon i saw: Michelin Pilot Road Front Tire - 120/70ZR-17/-- and then i saw: MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 180/55ZR17 REAR TIRE #78707 78707....damn i wish i wasnt vehiclely challenged!! lol

[/B]
All you have to do is look at the side of the tires on your bike. It will be the first set of numbers you have there (120/70zr/17). With higher mileage your going to get into some normal maintenance. Clutch, chain, brakes and so on. My clutch is starting to slip at 24,000 miles. It all depends on how the previous owner rode it. My bike was being drag raced by the previous owner. Thats why the clutch is slipping otherwise it may have been fine for a while longer.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the reviews on the Pilot Powers, As for me I absolutely LOVE them!! Had Perelli Diablos before and while I did get a lot of mileage out of them they always seemed sketchy when leaned over hard in a corner.

The initial dive in on the PP is awesome, and they stick like glue. The downside to them is I may only get like 6500-7000 miles out of them but thats mainly because of how I ride.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM

for five grand you could get a rr with a lot less miles. i mean what is on there is not bad at all but if you can do better why not

Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM

600RR stock is front 120/70-17, rear is 180/55-17. Michelin Pilot Powers are excellent tires, as are any of the big 5 (Michelin, Bridgestone, Metzler, Pirelli, Dunlop). There are other tire brands that are cheaper, but may wear faster depending on your riding style. I personally just don't trust 'em for the riding I do (I do Michelin on the track and street).

I've seen low mileage (they never rode) and high mileage (they rode all the time). My 2003 954 has over 54,000 miles and routine maintenance only; even my 600RR race bike has nearly 10,000 miles and is still going strong.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM

5K for an 07 seems like a great price imo! will he take 5 for it? if he owes $5800 he may want that? you can grab an 07 for your first bike, just be cautious and respect the pwr i personally started on an F4i loved it! you could maybe get one of those for like
3-4K? Tires i have Brid Battalax BT-021's came with bike brand new. So far ive had zero issues w em. There suppose to last LONG which i like good luck and whatever you ride be safe

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM

@philthethrillohio: well you are right...problem is I live in NY and prices for EVERYTHING here are ridiculous...people ask for 7k for 04's and 06's 600rr's its ridiculous man lol..

@randyjoy: thanks man, thats the kind of information I was hoping to get...now I will look for prices online and hope to get good or find deals on specific brands that you guys suggest....again a bike shop around my way gave me a quote of about $350-$400 for tires and installation (and supposedly and alignment?!?!?)...i dunno you tell me it seem like the tires alone online are expensive at least the sites ive seen....about $150 each am i right or wrong?

@cbr time: that is my offer, he owes $5800 he asked me for $5500 and im telling him to consider me for $5000 because i have to replace the tires, change the break fluid (only 2 things i really noticed, me being inexperience and mechanically challenged lol), and buy gear, helmet, jacket, gloves (thats the extra $500 hes asking for, not including insurance, parking garage, lol all that extra good stuff)....he said he will crunch some numbers and get back to me possibly on the weekend (today is friday, I saw the bike on wednesday and i havnt stopped having dreams of riding it... lol i know its sad)...so at this point im just waiting for a phone call from him seeing if he accepts my offer....i really want to be firm with my price but i want that bike so bad im not going to lie like i havnt thought about upping the price lol...but yea like ive said b4 i did sit on it....feathered the clutch but did not ride lol i was a bit intimidated by its power when i did rev it lol...mind you we were in a closed parking lot so the engine noise was even louder lol but again....KNOWING MYSELF it was first time jitters lol....

once again guys thanks for the input.....greatly appreciate it once i get the bike (gotta think positive) ill post pictures up....if anyone from NY or NJ down to meet ill do that too....you guys sure know how to make a neewbie feel welcomed!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by el_matatan
@
@cbr time: that is my offer, he owes $5800 he asked me for $5500 and im telling him to consider me for $5000 because i have to replace the tires, change the break fluid (only 2 things i really noticed, me being inexperience and mechanically challenged lol), and buy gear, helmet, jacket, gloves (thats the extra $500 hes asking for, not including insurance, parking garage, lol all that extra good stuff)....he said he will crunch some numbers and get back to me possibly on the weekend (today is friday, I saw the bike on wednesday and i havnt stopped having dreams of riding it... lol i know its sad)...so at this point im just waiting for a phone call from him seeing if he accepts my offer....i really want to be firm with my price but i want that bike so bad im not going to lie like i havnt thought about upping the price lol...but yea like ive said b4 i did sit on it....feathered the clutch but did not ride lol i was a bit intimidated by its power when i did rev it lol...mind you we were in a closed parking lot so the engine noise was even louder lol but again....KNOWING MYSELF it was first time jitters lol....

Just call him and tell him you will split the difference - I bet he'll go for it, and then you don't have to sit around worrying about it....

Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM

hope it works out for ya, he wants to sell bad, and you want it bad! did you give him that inmpression? hope not like Seaforduy said split the diff if he comes back and says no

Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he'll jump at splitting the diff. There's really no #s to crunch. If he owes $5800 and is asking for $5500, he knows he's taking a $300 loss already. See? Simple math.

Saying he has to crunch some mythical #s is a stall / sales tactic. Trying to either spike your interest to meet his $5500 with the worry someone else will take the bike. Or actually trying to see if someone will take the bike. He's already accepted that he won't get his $5800. He's just waiting to see if you'll sweeten the pot.

Tightening your belt for a month to pony up the extra $250 is worth it if you have to have that bike

Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 PM

today is saturday i will call him tomorrow and see what he says about the 5k, then ill offer him seafordguys's suggestion....

ohh and i went to a bike shop to get a quote on the following:

new tires
brake pads (they said it has 6 total!!!! is that true?)
brake fluid
and lowering kit

all of that for about $1000....im like wtf!!! thats pretty steep....isnt it?!?!?? lol they say they charge $85/hourly i find that **** to be waaayyy too steeep i dunno though

Quick Reply: went to purchase first bike 600rr, but need your help and advice