went to purchase first bike 600rr, but need your help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went to purchase first bike 600rr, but need your help and advice

hey guys, so i took my msf course and now i am shopping for my first bike and I am interested in purchasing a red/black 07 cbr 600rr for 5k that i went to go see today. 5k is what I am offering, he wants $5500, initially he wanted $6100, but he claimed he still owed $5800 on it). the bike has 13k miles and the owner admitted that although he never did stunts on the bike, that he was a bit of a speed demon. when i went to go see the bike, it is in imacculate condition, not a scratch on it. I read of a couple tips b4 purchasing a used bike. i checked for chain movement, i checked the clutch and brake lever, brake pads, tires and brake fluids etc...the tires looked worn (they guy leaned that bike a lot) By the way how much would new tires and installation are going to cost me? anyway he is the original owner and has had the bike since 07 and i asked if he had changed the brake fluid and he said no, so if i purchase the bike, i would have to do that too...he admitted he did change the oil frequently...so no worries about that....one concern i had though was that although i did not test drive the bike myself (i was a bit nervous of how powerful it actually was lol, but im sure that will go away) when i sat on the bike it seemed high for me...i was on my tippy toes basically. he showed me this piece under the engine i believe (on the lower left hand side of the bike) that i can lower the bike a bit i think through its suspension, im not even sure....it would make me feel more comfortable if i could lower it....but based on what you guys have read so far....what do you guys have to say? i need some questions, comments, opinions, and thoughts in regards to my experience on bike shopping...anything kind of input would be greatly appreciated...

ohh and by the way i am located in NYC....

Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 AM

First off I am going to forewarn you that you are going to get several posts telling you that a 600RR is not an appropriate first bike. My opinion is that it depends on the maturity level of the rider and their ability to moderate their enthusiasm. Just telling you because I don't want you to get your bubble burst when people start with those replies.

I don't know what the big deal about brake fluid changes are. My truck has 100k miles on it, 10 year old brake fluid, and has been used to pull 20k pounds around and has the original brake fluid in it, but for some reason a bike used to stop 500 pounds needs attention - I don't buy it, but that is just my opinion and could certianly be mis-guided.

Lowering bikes is cheap. There is a thread on it in the HOW-TO Mechanical section. Here is a link.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=lower

As for tires - I can't comment on market value/price for tires. My buddy owns a shop and I just take them down there and he does them free. If I had to wager a guess I would say 400 for 2 tires with ALL labor included, but that is a total guess and I could be completely out of the ballpark.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM

thanks for your input Seafordguy, I understand, i have heard it before... i expect that, but like i said im open and willing to take kind of criticism, comments and opinions, i welcomed them all with open arms. Im 5'7" 275 lbs, Yea im a heavy set guy and thats why my foot doesnt plant on the floor. as far as the bike goes my plan is to ride every single moment i can in parking lots, i wont be doing anything crazy nor testing the bike limits....i cant even imagine ever upgrading from a 600RR....

as for this bike, is there anything in specific i might need to look at? also like i said in b4 the bike is an 07 with 13k miles, and the tires are worn he said hes gon through 4 tire changes since he's had them...the fact that its an 07 with 13k miles concerns me a bit....well should it? is mileage a big concern on bikes as they are cars?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el_matatan
also like i said in b4 the bike is an 07 with 13k miles, and the tires are worn he said hes gon through 4 tire changes since he's had them...the fact that its an 07 with 13k miles concerns me a bit....well should it? is mileage a big concern on bikes as they are cars?
The mileage is fine. My 05 has 24,000 miles on it. As for the tires he went through so many because of the kind he bought and how he rode. If you want tires that last a long time look at Michelin Pilot Road tires.

Last edited by 77vetteguy; 05-20-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires will depend on where u get them. Expect round $200-$250 so you can be pleasantly surprised.

The big deal about brakes is you have 2 wheels, 1 life and sometimes 0 2nd chances. I've had the brakes go out on me in my work van and despite handling it fine, it wasn't fun. Given how frequently cages do dumb chit around us, -30 feet of stopping power can be the diffence between posting your near miss experience. Or posting your wreck.

If you're satisfied with the deal, go for it. A 600rr isn't a great starting bike but that's a personal opinion. The mere intimidation factor will slow your learning. But it's your mind to make up so best I'll say is

Shiny side up

Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 PM

honestly i started off on an f4i and learned without any problems. plenty of close calls. personally, and i tell every new rider this, but a bike that when you drop it and scratch it you can srug it off, pick it up and go. buying a bike in minty condition is very nice but also expensive to replace fairings etc.

now if you but an older f2, f3, f4 thats seen better days and you drop it, it wnt be much on the wallet.

and have you checked insurance prices yet? something to consider.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM

for tires check out www.jakewilson.com Just put a set (yes front and rear) of Pilot Powers on my F4i and they were like 160 bucks shipped.

Edit looks like the deal they were having when I got mine is over. Another site to try is www.sportbiketrackgear.com There also quite competitive on pricing.

Last edited by ID_CBRRider; 05-20-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 PM

el_matatan,
My first bike was a 05 Suzuki Katana 600.... I was set on a GSXR 750, but convinced by everyone to get the Katana as I was a new rider... I was totally bored in less than a month because I was looking for more performance. But there are different stroke for different folks.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Grab the RR. Dont buy something you dont want just because the 600rr is "too fast" for you. The bike is gonna go as fast as YOU make it. I read somebody telling another new poster to get a 250 first b4 a 600. Trust me I rode my aunties Kawi 250 and its not even close to being the same.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 AM

aww man i love the input guys!!! im going to respond to everyone lol

@77vetteguy: I understand...due to my inexperience with bikes but knowledge of cars, its sometimes a red flag when a car has ALOT of miles for its year...kbb suggested for it to have about 6500 miles for an 07'....but i will take your word for it...just in case though as far as year/mileage when is it a real concern? ohh and i searched for the tires you suggested but theres a bunch of numbers to the tire how do i know which one goes with mine? for example on amazon i saw: Michelin Pilot Road Front Tire - 120/70ZR-17/-- and then i saw: MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 180/55ZR17 REAR TIRE #78707 78707....damn i wish i wasnt vehiclely challenged!! lol

@Kuroshio: I got a quote from a bike shop for about $350 for tires and installation

@dohcdelsol: I know what you mean, ive honestly gave that a thought...the thing is is i dont want to always keep investing in purchasing bikes...meaning i dont want to buy bike after bike after bike...i know bikes require maintenance and all that which also means money lol...Im from NY and we only have soo many months to actually take advantage of good weather to ride...lol I got quoted for about $63 Monthly from Progressive with is about a little more than the average price i have been getting from other companies..

@id_cbrrider: wow $160 shipped for both front and back???? thats a deal...the bit that ive been searching seem to have that same price for just one!!! are the pilot powers good quality?? i spoke to the guy in a bike shop and who told me that some tires are inexpensive but they wear out easily so you end up investing more in tires that you think...i dunno

@striperangler: i hear you man, same dilema....i love CBR's man they are beautiful machinery i would hate to own something i im not satisfied...lol thats like being in a bad relationship lmao....im not looking to race, stunt on it either

@dmcb2120: like i said b4, im like that with everything....again i was a little intimidated by the power it had....mind you ive only ridden a raptor 350 and a banshee (both quick) and the suzuki bike at the msf course (that was light work) lol so i know that its only a matter of practicing on the new bike (600rr) until i get used to the throttle and how much i actually have to rev and what not....

once again thanks a lot man....i love learning new material...im like a sponge im soaking all this info in...

Quick Reply: went to purchase first bike 600rr, but need your help and advice