Urgent info experienced riders

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Urgent info experienced riders

^^^^ Since we're on the subject, those bikes look to be suited for smaller riders, is this true?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM

SV650 is the way to go. It's light, it's cheap, decent handling, and the lack of bodywork means if you drop it you won't need to buy new fairings. Oh yeah, and they have fuel injection so you don't have to mess around with that.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

if you really want a new one look at the new kawi zzr600

its based on the old zx6r. looks like a "normal" sportbike and is msrp of 7K.
cheaper, less hp, and lots of parts available
+1 to that. My friend bought the zzr600 because they wouldn't finance him for the zx-10. It's a great sport bike to learn on. It has more of an upright riding position and is lower than the rr. My friend has had the bike mistaken for a zx-14 many times by people who don't know better, so it has decent looks. Plus, it has a bit less power than the rr, but it has enough to keep up for the most part. It will even pull up the front wheel in first if you want to. Great learning bike imo.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
RCR

Just get the 07 RR if thats what you like. Just ride responsible. The power is only there when you make it.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 PM

I've only bought one new bike and even that one had 750 miles on it (demo). IMO motorcycles these days are reliable enough that you don't need a brand new one to get a reliable bike. If your new to riding, your going to drop the bike and you definitely don't NEED the fastest/most race ready 600 on the market.

I think its important for new riders to start on small bikes. Starting on a newer 600 supersport bike will just teach you panic management (the hard way). With a smaller/slower bike, your limits as a new rider will be closer to those of the motorcycle so you learn a lot more about actually riding a motorcycle properly rather than just holding on for dear life and hoping the bike doesn't throw you off when you make a mistake. I'm with f3racer, SV650s are great, as are little ninjas/GS500s and older Honda 600s (F4i or earlier F series). I'd suggest buying a dirt cheap 250 or 500 to ride for a while. I bought a 92 GS500 for $600 a year ago just for the hell of it and I could easily sell it in the Spring for $900. I think fairly new 250s are running like $1500 or so, something like that you could buy, ride for a few months and sell it, then get a 600. just my opinion

edit:
I've got a friend with a ZZR600. Its an okay bike but your paying $7,000 for a new motorcycle with carbs, wtf? You can get a used F4i for half that price that imo is a much better bike in the long run. If your buying a 600, most likely you'll be keeping it for a while and I would think most riders would be much happier with an F4i. The fuel injection alone would make that an easy decision for me, I would NEVER buy a new 600 that still used carbs. IMO the ZZR looks bulky/fat

Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Might as well throw in my 2 cents. 31 years riding with over 150,000 miles on bikes and no accidents...

1. Motorcycles are disposable income (luxury) purchases for over 90% of riders...meaning it's not one's sole means of transportation. That said, you should always buy what you "want." There is no "need" involved, so don't be fooled into the "rationalizing it" mentality. Being excited with your purchase decision will help eliminate any logical worries about "investment" BS. Bikes depreciate and eventually wear out (if you drive them), so they're never an investment. But they're worth every penny in terms of entertainment and as a social/lifetsyle outlet.

2. That said, there is a difference between buying smart and buying "less" smart. Bikes like cars depreciate A LOT the minute they leave the dealership. You can easily save 10, 15, 20 even 25% of the new price on a bike six months old with next to no miles. Just check out completed listing on ebay. They're not all scammers. Many dealer use it over the winter when retail traffic is near zero.

3. So if you have your heart (and mind) set on the new style 600RR, your best financial decision is to look for a clean very slightly used 07. Besides the dollar savings, a tiny scratch or two will make you less obsessed about being the first to screw it up. They get dings and scratches when you ride....a fact of riding life. If you do buy new, it's only money...and if you have it, it's your choice. All the great used bikes out there were bought new by somebody.

4. As mentioned earlier, buy good gear, and more importantly wear it...always. It's easy to start to feel confident quickly, so you rationalize just wearing jeans and athletic shoes. Mistake. Dress for the crash is an old adage.

5. Others may disagree, but do a track day or two. Go at your own pace. On a track you will have a singular focus and be able to get to know your bike, so you will learn things there much sooner than you may encounter them on the street. Get instruction/coaching and you will experience things that street riding for years will never present.

6. This one seems obvious, but don't drink and ride. Ever. Easy again to rationalize just a beer or two. Peer pressure is tough. But it's those first couple drinks that make you feel invincible, and attempt things you shouldn't. More than 50 percent of all cycle fatalities involve alcohol. You don't have to be going 100mph to do serious damage to yourself.

7. Last one. Assume every driver out there is out to hit you. In some cases they are. But if you drive defensively enough assuming they all are, you will see things others take for granted. A green light only gives you legal right of way. It's your job to make sure the intersection is clear. Other rules like never pass semi's on the right. etc etc. Follow them all...all the time.

Good luck and have fun. Whatever you decide, it will be the best money you ever spend.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 AM

the only thing to add to that is dont do an open track day first thing. go to a track day where there are instructors there that sits everyone down in a classroom and actually shows you what they are talking about.

doing an open track day without a clue on how to do it is pointless. all you are doing is thinking you are riding fast.

once you get a class on position, lines, braking, etc then do a few open ones to practice

Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

the only thing to add to that is dont do an open track day first thing. go to a track day where there are instructors there that sits everyone down in a classroom and actually shows you what they are talking about.

doing an open track day without a clue on how to do it is pointless. all you are doing is thinking you are riding fast.

once you get a class on position, lines, braking, etc then do a few open ones to practice
+1. Great point and better clarification. Or take a sportbike school where they provide detailed instruction and the bikes. Costs far less than the damage you could do to your bike.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Grazi and Baxsom ... Great advice!! +1 ..lol

Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Throttle Control!

Quick Reply: Urgent info experienced riders