Urgent info experienced riders

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent info experienced riders

Hi im a newb and i dont own a bike as of now but i am interested in buying a new 07 or 08 cbr 600rr. I just wanted to know from a few experience riders should i buy a bike brand new i dont want the hassle of buying a used one and having to fix it alot. I have some experience on riding a bike i actually took a MSF course in august of 2007 i passed and got my m endorsement and im going to get a bike in may. I do know the basics and safety of riding. Is this enough for me to survive on the streets? I will def be a responsible rider just not sure if im making a big mistake by buying a new bike. Also i would like to know whats the difference between the 07/08 cbr 600rr. I hear its just different colors and i also heard that the 08 weighs more than the 07 i dont know what's true does anyone out there have some input and good advice on this?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Default RE: Urgent info experienced riders

Well, get ready for everybodies opinions on this topic. 99% are going to tell you not to get it.

But as for the differences between 07 and 08 is just the colors. No weight difference AT ALL. One was just weighed at wet weight, and one at dry weight. Same bike.

Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM

2007 rake was 23.7*. 2008 rake is 23.55. it's sharper... means it takes more control and rider know how to handle one properly.

No, don't get it. don't get any supersport for that matter. a sport bike is fine, but what you eventually want is a supersport it sounds. start with something else... like an SV650, EX250/500/650. those are great first bikes.

here's my opinion of the MSF... all it gives you is the tools you need to develop into a good rider. just because you aced the MSF does not mean you are a hard core awesome rider. couldn't be further from the truth. wheat makes a good rider a good rider is practice practice practice. practice what the MSF teaches you until it becomes second nature. and i mean no rookie mistakes. this takes a while. sometimes it doesn't. it really depends on the learning curve of the individual rider. no one is alike. i can't tell you when you're ready for a more refined machine. don't let anyone tell you motor size is most important. that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 AM

you would be suprised at how well these bikes actually hold up.

a used bike would really be more appropriate. even the older f4i would be a good choice. (not the one with the banana seat)

and just keep in mind that statistically it will be dropped at some point in time

Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM

+1 !!!!

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

2007 rake was 23.7*. 2008 rake is 23.55. it's sharper... means it takes more control and rider know how to handle one properly.

No, don't get it. don't get any supersport for that matter. a sport bike is fine, but what you eventually want is a supersport it sounds. start with something else... like an SV650, EX250/500/650. those are great first bikes.

here's my opinion of the MSF... all it gives you is the tools you need to develop into a good rider. just because you aced the MSF does not mean you are a hard core awesome rider. couldn't be further from the truth. wheat makes a good rider a good rider is practice practice practice. practice what the MSF teaches you until it becomes second nature. and i mean no rookie mistakes. this takes a while. sometimes it doesn't. it really depends on the learning curve of the individual rider. no one is alike. i can't tell you when you're ready for a more refined machine. don't let anyone tell you motor size is most important. that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Or a 2001 Katana 600! Oh wait I have one of those for sale!!! LOL! Thats what I started with and it was probably the best move I ever made, you can do what you want on it and really learn how to ride. It has the get up and go without the power of leaving you on your back. If you have limited experience on a bike I really think a new RR is going to be a bad move, nobody wants to lay down their new bike during a stupid moment or even worse cuz they cant handle it... just my .02

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM

+1 on taking the MSF

Stay away from the new bikes. Nothing worst then seeing your 8k +toy sliding down the road.

Pick up a nice used F4i for a good price and INVEST the rest of your money into GEAR (Quality Gear) (Riding pants, boots, gloves, jacket, back brace,helmet, stablizer(sp), frame sliders, swing arm spools, front axle protectors,case covers,and bar ends). These bikes are very durable. Just be picky and take your time, shop around and find one that hasn't been laid over and the servicings have been done properly.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:16 PM

if i could do it again i'd buy a 600cc if that's what you wanted but get a used one. i'm sure you could find one that still runs and rides well. going this route will save you tons of money. plus, you'll prob be more comfortable on it. and, for me anyway, after i took the course (about 6-7 yrs ago), i still remember, the parking lot is nothing like the real streets w/ real traffic. you might ride safe and not get in any accidents for a good long while, but somehow, maybe your moving it, don't put the kickstand all the way down, you're turning into a hill from a stop, etc. it will be dropped. everything i mentioned happened to me at least once during the first year. there are prob a lot of things you haven't considered. like, the day i was brining my brand new 04 600rr home, i was at a red light and trying to make a right turn from a stop, and it was a steep hill i was turning into, and my foot couldn't plant well because of the angle of the road and the deep gutter and i fell over. fortunately these drops don't cause too much damage usu, but in my opionion it would of been good to learn these little ins and outs on an older bike. my 2 cents. go w/ the size you want,ie 600cc, but go w/ a used one.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM

if you really want a new one look at the new kawi zzr600

its based on the old zx6r. looks like a "normal" sportbike and is msrp of 7K.
cheaper, less hp, and lots of parts available

Quick Reply: Urgent info experienced riders