tune up

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune up

just bought a 07RR with 4,6xx miles on it. I took it to a shop and they said i should get a tune up because i dont know how well the previous owner took care of it. What is done in a full tune up? I know spark plugs and air filter but i have a k&N filter so i dont need a new one. Is this shop trying to scam me i thought u should only get tune ups around 10k miles?? Is this true?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Default RE: tune up

Getting a tune up on a used bike right after you buy it is not a bad idea. At least you know you'll have peace of mind. You dont know if the guy you bought it from ever changed it.

Most people change there oil every 6 months. Spark plugs last a long time,unless you foul them. If it has a K&N filter I wouldn't let them change it out, because they will put a stock filter back in.

I had took my truck to a Jiffy Lube one time and they took my K&N out and put a POS paper filter in. I didn't realize untill I got home. I went back and no one would admit to taking it.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Sounds like the shop is looking for business to me. No way a bike needs a "tune up" at that milage...in fact, I've never really heard of a tune up for a bike... wires, spark plugs and distributor cap is usually a car tune up right?

One thing you'll want to do is change the oil right away and ask who you got it from whether they used synthetic oil or not.Also, use the Honda OEM filters...they can be found at various places on the net cheaper than at your local stealership as well.

I always use Honda OEM filters and Mobil1 synthetic.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM

I just did an oil change like 2days ago for the first time it was a pain in the *** taking the fairing off and getting to the oil filter but other than that it went okay. I used 3qt of amsoil 10w-40 synthetic i heard and read about it and its a really good oil. I also used a new honda OEM filter and i torqued it myself really tight because i heard thats the best way so it can work properly hand tight is not good is this true?? So i guess im all ready to winterize my bike now have one rear stand fuel stabalizer and i will remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger what do u think??

Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM

I think any more than hand tight on the filter and you'll have a fun time trying to get it off...lol

Mobil1 is just as good as Amsoil and probably alot cheaper. But you sound like your on your way to becoming a rider... WELCOME!!

You have to take the lower off to do the oil change? My '04 I don't have to...

Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 PM

well for my first time i did take the lower off but i will never do it again its a pain. The guy I bought it from had led's stuck on the inside with double sided tape to secure it so i had to take the led's off and go through a process of putting them back on. i am skeptical about not taking the fairings off because there isnt too much clearance between the drain bolt and fairings maybe i will just put cardboard inside so the oil doesnt get onto the fairing. How is your clearance between the drain plug and fairing??

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 PM

they are ripping u off..

the stock plugs are over $40 a pop. EACH
hence why they last 32,000 miles.

air filters should last about half that.

and there is no plug wires since the bikes uses a COP (coil over plug) system

just change the oil and ull be fine..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM

but the guy was also telling me something about checking my valves and really doing a full tune up he said it could run around $400. I was born at night but not last night i said in my head it cost around that price for my car. So they are trying to rip me off??

Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: bapishere

but the guy was also telling me something about checking my valves and really doing a full tune up he said it could run around $400. I was born at night but not last night i said in my head it cost around that price for my car. So they are trying to rip me off??
yes!

read your owners manual, its all in there.

the first valve check is at 16K or 32K i cant remember. but its right in there.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 PM

You bought a $400 car?!?? That thing probably needs a tune up, lol... j/k

Actually, maybe I did take my lowers off...damn, I can't remember right now and my bike is at my boys house for the fork swap so I can't go check... I remember the filter being a pain to get off the first time and now I think I did take my lowers off to do it, but it was easy...just a few bolts for me and they come right off. I have 05 black lowers on my 04...the biggest pain is those lil black clips

Quick Reply: tune up