traded in F4i for RR

Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traded in F4i for RR

the RR is amazing! like night and day compared to the F4i (which is still fantastic too).
2003, black with gray wings, yoshi CF exhaust, rear cowl, tinted windscreen and DID chain. pics soon!
i love the aggressive seating position, more in control so exciting to ride, acceleration is awesome but one major issue i have is slowing down and braking.
the rr is not my first sportbike, (riding street for almost 5 years) i built up to it with cruisers and the F4i and i know how to brake, etc. or at least i thought i knew. ive ridden an 250 fireblade rr like a dream too, but for some reason even in low traffic speeds of 35-40 mph, when i try to slow down progressively, not quick stop, the rear wheel locks and i slight fishtail. i find it unusually hard to slow down even at 30-35mph. new riders who have the rr as a first bike dont have this problem, makes me nervous riding it. it never happened on the f4i. any ideas what to check? tires look semi worn but still rideable.
thanks!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Default RE: traded in F4i for RR

the brakes are going to be touchier than an f4i that is a given. also since the bike is used maybe the prev. owner put a high performance pad on the rear.. which will make it lock up very easily.. why are you using ur rear brake at 35mph under reg. braking anyway?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 PM

i slowly squeeze the front brake and lightly use the rear each time i brake. it still locks. thanks for idea of the high perf. rear pad.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:05 PM

or just don't use the rear brake, whats the point?
especially with the RR, when you apply the brakes all the weight is transferred to the front of the bike, meaning there is very little load on the rear tire so it locks up under very slight braking
basic dynamics of a motorcycle, however the more aggressive the bike the more extreme those dynamics become

the only reason I've ever used the rear brake is to lock up the rear (just screwin around lol) for actual braking purposes its useless

Nick Ienatsch does a great demonstration of braking on "Speed on Two Wheels" where he starts by using the front brake only - stops great, then rear brake only - takes like 3 times the distance to stop, both brakes - stops only about 6 INCHES shorter than front brake only, then he overdoes the front brake and does a stoppie

if you just insist on using the rear brake, there is a trick to weaken the rear brake by letting some air into the line so it will still work but won't bite as hard

Old 11-19-2006, 10:19 PM

yeah also i forgot i hear rr's are harder to wheelie than f4i's because the weight is thrown more to the front of the bike.. meaning very little weight is on the rear.. yeah dont use ur rear..

Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a similar experience with mine, but you'll get used to it. The rear brake can be a little touchy. Congrats on upgrading to the RR.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 AM

RR's are da bomb! Might grab myself an 06 next season... I say you can't have enough R's

Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 AM

i thought that might indicate something mechanically wrong with the bike.
good to hear others had similar getting used to rr experiences. just need practice with braking.
along with re-checking specs on chain, rear brake axle and suspension. it feels a tad lower than the f4i too.
maybe its just the forward angle or the pre-owner lowered it.
overall it freakin rrocks!

Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woody...i have to ban you from this forum because your RR has average like 2 miles per month since you got it! muahahahah...

my buddy just went from an F4 to an RR...what a difference...but he still sucks...mauhahhah...

enjoy the bike mang...you gonna love it! i can only wish i can but i can't so i no longer wish but now hope but hope has possibility of coming true so i no longer hope and only dream of one...i think i can afford an 05 in the future...probably like in 2012 or something.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Tahoe, you needs a 1000!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: traded in F4i for RR