Titanium Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium Sprocket

I recently purchased a titanium sprocket for my 03 600rr from Sidewinder! The sprocket is custom made as I have DymagCarbon Fiber Rims. Upon receiving the sprocket Iwas very disappointed in the finish. I told them it looked like it was made in Russia for a tractor. They give a lifetime warranty and I noted to them it should be good as I would never put the sprocket on my bike the way it looks. They opted to ignore my complaint....

Bottom line, I am wondering about options to refinish the sprocket so it doesn't look like crap. I thought about powder coating but I am pretty sure the chain will just wear the coating off where the chain contacts the sprocket. Another option might be chrome plating, but I am not sure with titanium. In a best case scenario I would like a gold finish to match my EV Gold chain and the mesh in my carbon fiber hugger.

Any suggestions. Right now I have an ugly $250 paper weight

Old 12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Default RE: Titanium Sprocket

sounds like a harsh situation! idk how all that plating and powdercoating are gonna do on titanium but fgood luck!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM

What exactly is wrong with it? not well made? you may be able to finish the titanium, polish, but normal finish is gray. powder coat will flake like you said, and im not to sure about chrome dip, if it will stick or not, my guess is not. but i think i would leave it natural titanium color. do you have a pic of your paper wieght?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 AM

I have yet to install it but I don't think there is anything wrong from a tech perspective. Simply looks like crap. Here's a shot of the sprocket:
http://www.ottawasportbikes.com/view...=52&t=2767

Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Dont have permission to see the pic. can you post it here, im curious.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM

I second TK, I don't have permission either

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Keep in mind the sprocket is brand new!

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=sprocket.jpg

Old 12-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Yeah it does look a little worn for being a new product, but I have to say it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There is a thing called titanium anodizing, where you can choose from a lot of different colors to make the titanium. I'm not sure if it can be done after the product is made, or if it needs to be done in the process of making it. I'm not sure how much it would be either. You could def. make it gold though.

Edit: After looking into it some more, anodizing it would be the way I would go. There are a ton of different colors to choose from, and it sounds like it has really good wear resistant properties. The only down side I could see to it is they mentioned it raises the surface slightly, but it should be negligible for your sprocket. I wouldn't see it being enough to hinder the chain. Still don't know how much it would cost though.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

I don't think it's that bad. It's not a show bike is it?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy the wheels and the sprocket for rides to Starbucks or doing twisties? It's a freakin sprocket. Who cares if it looks like that?

Quick Reply: Titanium Sprocket