This thing eats tires........

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This thing eats tires........

Ok now. This is getting rediculous. I bought this bike back in, what? April? It had 1800 miles on it. I now have a bit over 6300 miles on it, so in 4500 miles I have gone through:

3 sets of Dunlop Qualifiers (Less than 1000 per set)
1 set of Dunlop 208 GPA's (about 300 miles of track time only)
1 set of Pilot Powers (1200 or so miles of Deals Gap mountain riding)

And I just mounted up another set of Pilot Powers tonight due to my last set of Qualifiers showing cord on the rear on today's ride.

I am seriously debating about trying a set of Diablo Stradas, which I run on my Aprilia, just to see what would happen. Stradas are excellent on my Aprilia and SV and they were great when I had my Bandit 1200 also, so why not? I am all out of Qualifiers finally, (Thank God!) and Pilot Powers last longer anyways, but this thing is just killing tires! Maybe I can stop turning that twisty thing on the right hand bar so much??

All I know is that for a weekend only blaster, the tire bill is putting a hurting on my checkbook!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This thing eats tires........

Dunlop is known for having a softer compound rubber in their tires.. The factory Bridgestone Battlax Qualifier tires that come on the '07 CBR are some very decent tires from what I've heard.. Relatively inexpensive as well.. Check it out...

Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 AM

maybe it's just me but it's hard to believe you went thru 5sets of tires in 4800miles...

Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's your riding style? Standing burnouts? Aggressive downshifting? Jackrabbit starts?

I've only gone through 2 tires in 9,000 miles. And yes, I ride rather aggressive about 50% of the time with a track day or two thrown in for good measure. The original rear tire got a screw in it at 2,500 miles, but I still had about 1500-2000 miles left on it. Replaced that with a Dunlop Qualifier and put 6,500 miles on it. I just replaced my front and rear a couple weeks ago with a set of Qualifiers. The rear was just about to go bald in the middle wear, and the front (which was still original) was starting to crack a little, so I figured it was time.

I don't know how you ride, but I seems like that is a little extreme to be going through that many SETS of tires for street riding.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM

That seems very extreme to me. I certainly couldn't afford that either. My first sets of
tires have averaged about 1 mm of wear per 1000 miles, giving each set about 6000 miles each. I do not ride aggresively however, and no track days yet.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do ride EXTREMELY hard out on the back roads, which is why I go through tires. Don't do burnouts at all and usually start pretty tame from a dead stop. Mainly it is from triple digit back road blasting, knee down at 100plus that wears em out

I am notorious for being hard on tires no matter what bike I am on, but it seems that I go through them even faster on the RR. Maybe it's simply because the only time I am riding it is WFO most of the time..... My Bandit 1200 did not even go through them this bad, but then, part of it is due to trying to get rid of my stock of these crap *** Qualifiers.

No way in hell I would use a bridgestone tire either. Particularly not those Crapaxe biscuits they call tires...

Oh well....... I envision the CBR going away next year in order to make room for another Aprilia anyways....

Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 AM

Sounds badass. lol

Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM

is your suspension set up properly? that can seriously affect tire wear, otherwise your paying the price of going fast
what bike your on isn't going to change wearing tires much, I go through a set a weekend racing my SV

also, I don't know about the rest of their tires but Bridgestones BT-002's are great tires, I used them for over a year on my F4i and they were plenty sticky and held up longer than most of the others I'd tried

if your looking for super sticky tires that heat up fastbut still stick good while they're cold and last a long time your screwed, its always a compromise

Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off...you really need to slow down in backroads...you don't know what's out there and judging from your tire wear, you leave very little room for error.

the stradas will get you better mileage but you aren't going to get the stick you want riding as hard as you do. i'm not sure of your riding style either...are you late brake and throw bike down type or are you smooth type?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Dunlop is known for having a softer compound rubber in their tires.. The factory Bridgestone Battlax Qualifier tires that come on the '07 CBR are some very decent tires from what I've heard.. Relatively inexpensive as well.. Check it out...

i dont know about your bike but mine came with the dunlop qualifiers not the bridgestones

Quick Reply: This thing eats tires........