test ride was kinda scary guys.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test ride was kinda scary guys.....

Do you guys have problems with the front wheel wanting to go into speedwobble at the upper part of first and second on full acceleration? I took in my F3 and test rode a 2005 600RR and it just didnt seem stable in that situation....did i get a fluke bike with a wacky suspension setup or what? And before you think i'm a newbie i'm well used to bikes with power...i frequently fide a suzuki gsxr1000 and dont have this problem.....what do you think it might be guys...??? as far as i know the setup was factory.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Default RE: test ride was kinda scary guys.....

Speed Wable? you mean tank slap. Mine will try to tank slap if the forks are adjusted too far out. found this out when I changed the stearing head bearings.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:40 AM

Yes tank slap, speed wobbles , etc. as far as i know it was all stock setup....just wondered if this was a normal thing for a light rider of 150lbs?

Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 AM

not that isn't normal... mine's rock stable even when it power wheelies while shifting... and that was before my damper... haven't ridden it with the damper on yet because hey, michigan sucks... But anyways, get the forks checked out, if the compression, rebound, pre-load settings are off right to left that might cause it, depending on when it does... The steering stem nut might be loose so get that checked, that'll give you some fun riding... And the bearings on the front axle could be bad... it also might be a harmonic vibration from the wheel being out of balance... but that usually makes the bike hop more...

Old 02-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you weren't just floating the front tire? The 600RR has quite a bit more power than the F3 that you're used to. And of course the Gixxer 1K doesn't float -- the front is either planted or way up there.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:39 AM

yeah... definitely not normal. never experienced that on my 600rr.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:26 PM

don't know if this situation is the same or not....but when i am decellerating fast...and i shift down and apply the brakes my front wheel kinda wobbles. i think it was because i used the rear brake too hard or something....when i stopped using it, it stopped happening. i know you said it was in the first or second accelleration, but just thought i'd throw this out there

Old 02-04-2006, 02:28 PM

I have an 03 and I never had that problem even at the track wring'ing it's neck.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Yea, it's got to be the machine that's causing the wobble...not the rider...

Stop ham fisting the throttle and be aware of the road surface, because the combination of heavy acceleration and uneven road surfaces can cause some head shake, which is not a big deal if you're relaxed on the bars...but I'm sure you'll get a steering damper to fix the problem instead of the rider replacement kit...

Focus on being smooth, because these 600's are more forgiving than a 1k bike, but they can still get you into trouble if you don't respect them!

Old 02-18-2006, 08:24 PM

Ya i took a second look at the bike i test rode and the settings had been messed with so my buddy let me take out a factory fresh 06....i was the first to wheel her out of the lot..(good friend) I did not have the same problems so i guess the settings were not set up for my weight, etc....? Needless to say my friend and I are 600rr shopping...thanks for the info guys and any suggestions from you guys as to settings that work for a 5'7" 150lb rider would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: test ride was kinda scary guys.....