Temperature...When to worry

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature...When to worry

Hey guys,

I'm still practicing locally on my recently purchased 03 600RR and was wondering if there is a temperature I should worry about. Last night, the temp climbed to 229 degrees. My friend says that it may be because it is air cooled and I wasnt going to fast on it to cool it down. Any thoughts on this?

P.S. I've been riding it in parking lots and private communities ONLY.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Temperature...When to worry

the 600RR is liquid cooled. slap your friend for me. your fan should have been working and that should keep it cool, however that depends on the ambient temperature. it should come on at 103*C and you were at 109 so it should have been on.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I believe the temp starts flashing at 240*F. That's when you worry. Or shut down.

I can distictly hear my fan come on at 221*F. My idle is 1300-1400rpm per factory specs and it usually does not climb higher than 225 at a dead stop. I think you're fine. However, if your idle is higher than spec, you may cause the temp to rise faster than it should and go higher than it should. The idle adjustment screw is on the left side of the bike by some hoses. You really can't miss it.

BTW, good for you for taking your time. I did the same thing. Take your MSF, take your time, and you will be fine. Remember, you are new and though others may ride faster... you can catch up to them later. Good luck. Ride safe.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

the 600RR is liquid cooled. slap your friend for me. your fan should have been working and that should keep it cool, however that depends on the ambient temperature. it should come on at 103*C and you were at 109 so it should have been on.
Throw a slap in for me too. Fan will come on around 220 deg F. If it keeps creeping up from this then you need to look at coolant level, thermostat, water pump, radiator, etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

I believe the temp starts flashing at 240*F. That's when you worry. Or shut down.

I can distictly hear my fan come on at 221*F. My idle is 1300-1400rpm per factory specs and it usually does not climb higher than 225 at a dead stop. I think you're fine. However, if your idle is higher than spec, you may cause the temp to rise faster than it should and go higher than it should. The idle adjustment screw is on the left side of the bike by some hoses. You really can't miss it.

BTW, good for you for taking your time. I did the same thing. Take your MSF, take your time, and you will be fine. Remember, you are new and though others may ride faster... you can catch up to them later. Good luck. Ride safe.
Thanks for the insight! And btw, I completed the MSF with flying colors 3 weeks ago!

E

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Throw a slap in for me too. Fan will come on around 220 deg F. If it keeps creeping up from this then you need to look at coolant level, thermostat, water pump, radiator, etc.
Kiggy,

Youre right. Fans were coming on around the 200 teenish range. Cant recall exactly. Next time I will for sure. I think the temp maxed around 221 deg F today during an hour 15 min ride. I keep it between 3-4K RPM and go as high as 3rd gear. Top speed 37mph. Were talking about a little community here with parked cars on both sides, movie theatre, drug store, restaurants, etc... It's very small, hence not enough air flowing in. What do you think? Normal?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 AM

yea your fine . if it starts getting up to 240 then you need to start looking . my 07 says at 250 the light starts to flash shut it down and turn the key to the on poistion and the fan should kick on and start cooling it down . i normaly run about 225-229 in the texas heat in stop and go traffic.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Should be fine. It's a honda, it can get a lot hotter than that without hurting anything.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about the occasional dip into the 230s on hot days. The fan should definately be kicking though otherwise yours will skyrocket like a nuclear meltdown. I saw the "light ofdeath" first hand when my fan switch went deep six on me. Shut her down as she was rapidly approching 260. One week til' she is fixed....sux.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 PM

my temp reached 240 and started flashing, by the time i approached the top of the mountain the coolant was boiling and flowing out the overflow tube. needless to say i stopped and let it cool back down to under 90 C before riding again. oh yeah slap your friend for me too, make sure its a good rick james slap too!

Quick Reply: Temperature...When to worry