Technique Question: Hard Braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technique Question: Hard Braking

Getting the feel back quickly, but want to learn more.

Question: Being able to do some really good emergency stops is probably one of the best road survival skills we can have - in my opinion. I know the RR stops REALLY well, but I want to master this on my bike.

So -- how often do you guys practise some really good hard stops? And if you do them, tell me what you aim for? What speeds do you work with?

I did well in the MSF course with emergency stops both straight & in curves. But these all were done from about 15 - 20 mph. I'm wanting to work up to higher speeds to more replicate the road environment we're all on. I'm trying to get my understandings down first, hence the question.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Technique Question: Hard Braking

there's a pretty big parking lot down the street from my house (kmart headquarters in troy) that has been repaved... I go down there to practice cornering, and hard braking. Basically you just have to work up to it... try stopping with only the front brake, maybe a little rear, but in a really hard stop all the rear does is make the rear tire skid. You can pretty much endo the bike before the front will slide (if it's warm). I usually run it up to about 25-30 and nail the brakes for my first couple of runs... then some higher speed stuff from about 45-50mph. The 45-50 is a good emergency stop because it doesn't just jerk the bike to a stop, you actually roll a little bit.

edit: as far as goals... let the front be the deciding factor... stop as hard as you can without sliding it (but work up to this slowly, because sliding the front produces a nasty low side). The other thing to shoot for is your riding form. grab the tank with you legs to take the load off your arms so you can still control the bike. Use your back and abs to hold you up so you can make a maneuver if you have to, or control the throttle and clutch. I try to stop as fast as I can, with as much control of the bike as possible, with as little weight on my arms as possible.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 PM

practice? i do trackdays (lots of em) so braking hard is second nature to me

Old 05-05-2006, 03:43 PM

I use to practice every Sunday, but I don't anymore...

I use to vary the speeds and practiced doing small stoppies, because sometimes the rear does come up...

Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

practice? i do trackdays (lots of em) so braking hard is second nature to me
Hey Woodyracing! I do the same in my Z06.[sm=gears.gif] Alot of track time each year for me with almost more laps than I can run. Gotta luv them track days!!
So I know what you mean, because of all the practise I get teaching driving schools, I can do anything in the Vette I need to do to survive on the street.

But it's not the same for me on my new RR. I'm just getting back into riding after almost 25 yrs off. I don't want to turn it into a track machine either, just learn to ride smoothly with good technique on the street mainly. I will ultimately take it to the track, but I'm not planning on becoming a track junkie on my bike -- just my Vette.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 PM

haha I don't think any of us "planned" to become track junkies

I know I sure as hell never thought I'd be doing this, lol

Old 05-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Now don't go telling me that!!! I know how much I LOVE THE TRACK!!! I could about live there....

Old 05-05-2006, 05:46 PM

i know what you mean, Barber is my home away from home, I think I've been there 3 out of the last 4 weekends, and I've got 2 more weekends in a row this month
I'm broke but its fun as hell!

Old 05-05-2006, 05:48 PM

if it makes you feel better a friend of mine used to take his car to the track almost every weekend until he started doing trackdays on his bike. Last I checked his car hadn't left his garage in 2 months

wait that might not make you fell better...

oh well

hehe

Old 05-05-2006, 05:59 PM

Haha!! Yep, the ole Z06 has been feelin a touch neglected since the RR showed up....Oh well!! I'm a polygamist when it comes to having more than one fast machine to love!!!!!

Seriously you are at Barber all the time??? I live 1/2 way between Atlanta & Chattanooga. I teach over at Little Talladega all the time!! You must live close by too.

So can I just come by Barber & hang out some & learn some stuff?

Quick Reply: Technique Question: Hard Braking