Technique Question: Hard Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Technique Question: Hard Acceleration

Good points Philly. What are you looking for for RPM for right gear selection on an RR?

Old 05-07-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: philly

Yep, i'll agree with most of the above. I use the old position, speed, gear technique for when approaching corners at a decent kind of speed. But i will say that being in the right gear for the corner is v important as the bike will be steadied on the way in & on the way out.
Being as smooth as possible getting on the gas is important too and not ham fisting the throttle...roll it on as you exit...

Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 AM

My bike never leaves the ground when powering out of a turn, I'm usually in fith with -1+2 gears and going between 80 and 90. that reminds me I got a new camera and mount I'll show you a ride looks different when I am sitting at the desk watching. Also I have spent quite a bit of time messing with the suspension and have found that the right setup keeps the bike feeling very stable in all aspects of riding. havn't lost traction yet and never had the front leav the ground of course I am 220 and gaining.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM

I have highsided....I don't recommend doing it it's a [sm=badidea.gif][sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM

I'll go along with philly to say that proper gear selection is crucial going into a corner, but on the street with stock gearing you can pretty much go into just about any corner in first if you really want to (it redlines at 70). Focus more on keeping the bike stable through the entry and apex of the corner and then worry about coming out harder and harder.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:34 PM

hey guys!! was reading all that you have posted and just wanted to let you know i have no idea what your talking about.
well i dont really know jow to turn i guess or go into a turn.i just do it.i will usually downshift to 5th cause i heard it was better because the bike has more traction i give it steady throttle comming out.i'm not sure what i'm trying to say here other than i dont want to get hurt doing something i shouldnt be doing and further more i dont want to get hurt and not even know why i did what i did.and oh will someone explain an apex please?[&:]i bought keith codes twist of the wrist and its a bit confusing but hoping that sometime it will reveall some usefull street riding knowledge to me. thanks guys

Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM

thats the basic concept, you start from the outside edge of the track/road (outside is right side if its a left hand turn), turn in and hit the apex, which is basically the point where your closes to the curb/yellow line on the street, then go wide to the outside (right side again if its a left hand turn)

your just trying to make a turn as close to a straight line as possible

Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: NotSoMellowYellow

My bike never leaves the ground when powering out of a turn, I'm usually in fith with -1+2 gears and going between 80 and 90. that reminds me I got a new camera and mount I'll show you a ride looks different when I am sitting at the desk watching. Also I have spent quite a bit of time messing with the suspension and have found that the right setup keeps the bike feeling very stable in all aspects of riding. havn't lost traction yet and never had the front leav the ground of course I am 220 and gaining.
I've done it a few times coming out of clovers, at the upper part of second w/ stock gearing. But I weight 170 lbs not 220. On all of the bikes I've own, two of the suspensions were adjusted by my old boss, one I adjusted by to the same setting he showed, and the last I tuned a setting he advised me on. I put about 25 lbs from last summer. I don't know how the roads are in Kansas but in N.Y. depending on the road every 10-20' of road quality tends to change. Some parts can be smooth some can be bumpy as hell. Very stable is one thing but very stable at speed is another. I'm running 32f/36r p.s.i. on a set of 218. Good tire especialy in the rain but they start to act a little funny after you put 40-50 mi in them. They're not pilot powers w/ 34f/40r p.s.i. That's what I run when it's nice out.