Stomp Grips/Traction Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stomp Grips/Traction Pads

I am looking into these right now and am wondering how much of a difference they make. They don't make the tank look too hot, but that's not what they're all about. Should I get them? If so, what brand? What say you?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Stomp Grips/Traction Pads

I just got some yesterday. When i get them on i will follow up.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM

for a street bike you dont need them. for a track bike they help hold you to the tank when you are hanging off the side. stompgrips work perfectly. i dont know anything about traction pads. but the stomp grip was one of the first things i put on my trackbike.

they also hold you in place when you brake hard so you dont crush your nuts on the tank

Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

for a street bike you dont need them. for a track bike they help hold you to the tank when you are hanging off the side. stompgrips work perfectly. i dont know anything about traction pads. but the stomp grip was one of the first things i put on my trackbike.

they also hold you in place when you brake hard so you dont crush your nuts on the tank

I have some on my half warped F2. They work good for the street, (backroads) as well as I know they will for the track.

Going to put some on my 600 RR, though the riding position of the RR does not require as much need for braking tank grip like the F2
does.

Just make sure you sit on the bike, and if you have 4 arms, or better yet a buddy makes a good stencil, (cut out pattern) using posterboard or something similar before you cut to fit the pieces of the actual material.

Make a pattern that fits the tank and the various places your legs will be under different circumstances.

Use the pattern to cut one piece, lay it aside, and then flip the pattern over and cut the exact piece just in reverse.

Also, the word grip comes not only for your legs but also for the 1 second you have before it is stuck permanently.

Read the directions from where it says, "I am not a decal! Don't treat me like one!" Its not a joke.

If you get any bubbles underneath and between the little gripper nipples, take your fingers and just push on the bubbles.

They will squeeze out doing that along with continued riding.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was never a fan of them until I took the superbike class at Laguna. It made a huge difference for me on the track. I would imagine they would be great on the street as well. You would be able to hold yourself up with your legs better, and relieve stress on your wrists a because your legs aren't sliding around your tank. (well, at least for those of us that polish their tanks like there's no tomorrow)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM

I love the Stomp Grip on my tank (so far used exclusively on the street).
First, I got the clear Stomp Grip, so it doesn't look too bad.
Second, it is quite hilly where I live, and the grip allows my legs to take the load off my wrists when braking on the descents (which may simulate the increased loads of braking on the track).
Third, it allows the legs to take the load on longer trips, relieveing the wrists.
Fourth, I feel the position on the bike much more precisely when going through the twisties (no sliding around).

Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I've used Stompgrips for a Very long time... I was (and still am) happy with them, both on the street & track. Butsometimes theyseamed to be "too" grippy and theychaffed the insides of my knees of my leathers. BUT last year I was turned on to Tank TredZ. Long story short I tried them and They offer the good points of Stomp grips, without the bad points, and they're easier to install to boot.

Here's the review I did over the corse of last season: Tank Tredz Review

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM

Those sound like they're worth a try fo sho! Btw, when was the last time someone told you you have attractive lady-hands? (because you do)

Old 12-26-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Papi Chingon
Btw, when was the last time someone told you you have attractive lady-hands? (because you do)
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I currently have Stomp Grip on my CBR, 636, and SV 650. I will never have another sport bike without some kind of tank grip pad, but my only experience is the Stomp Grip, which I REALLY like!

Quick Reply: Stomp Grips/Traction Pads