Stolen slider

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen slider

Rode my bike to school yesterday and got my left slider stolen. Has this happend to anyone before? How can it be prevented and can I still ride with the left bolt missing?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Default RE: Stolen slider

what kind of bike is it?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Never had it happen, and if the bolt is missing that goes in to the engine mount, then you probably should replace it before you start riding it again.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 AM

04 600 rr. Yeah the engine mount bolt is missing. Thanks for the help and quick posts. Where can I get the exact size bolt besides the stealership.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 AM

I'd just get one from the dealership. finding a bolt that is the same size may be fairly easy but you may not be able to find one with the same shear strength. Just go get the right bolt, it should only be a few bucks. I wouldn't want to put some bolt you find at lowes in there and have it shear off, then you'd be really f-ed.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it was stolen? My left side slider on my 06 always found a way to get loose. That's the side that only uses a bolt....versus the right side which uses a bolt AND nut. Which side is missing on yours?

Message sent from my iPhone.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:41 PM

dont buy a bolt from the dealership buy a new sliders that comes with the bolt

Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM

The left side, yeah its just a bolt, no nut. I just bought new R&G sliders, but now one is gone so gotta get new ones. So I went to the dealership earlier and bought the flange bolt for 5 bucks just so I can ride for now and wait for new sliders to come in. Probably gonna go with a little less pricey sliders that dont stick out as much as the R&G.

Blue Fox is it common that the left sliders come loose from vibrations? I dont think I had that problem before but bolts due come loose.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM

^I wouldn't say it's common, but it is if they are not installed properly. Next time I highly recommend you use lock tite. Make sure it is the blue kind and not the red. Red will keep that sucker in there for a long time. Since there is so much vibration being the engine mount, it is not out of the question that it vibrated out. Double check on which is blue and which is red, I may have mixed them around.

Edit: When I say blue kind, I mean the actual lock tite is blue. I believe it comes in a little red container though.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it's nessesarily "common", but mine always seemed to be loose after a couple months. I used some loctite...problem solved.

Message sent from my iPhone.

Quick Reply: Stolen slider