Stolen :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1, have the insurance do it. the 1k is worth having a pro take care of the rapairs, and they'll even find stuff you may not have known was broken and fix that too. Saves you a hell of a lot of time.

BTW, I'm on my way to Lackland in about 5 hours Chicago forcast calls for snow, but Lackland's 80 and sunny all weekend!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
Late to the party but so glad you got it back. Can you start keeping it inside your apartment or something like that? I know some people who do that rather than leave it in a parking lot overnight.

I keep my bike outside my apt, as well. I got a parking spot directly under one of the lights which I guess helps. My big idea was to drill into the cement and install some rebar anchors that I chain the bike to. They're small enough that nobody at the building said anythign about it, and it'll take a lot of time with a noisy hydrolic grinder to get through those things.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Yeah, I've heard a few people say they did that as well. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM

At my old apt building, I had the Mammoth ground chain anchor.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_...r_p/grd003.htm

Worked great, especially with 14mm Mammoth chain and lock.
I'm pretty sure thieves would look at that 14mm chain and be like: "Screw that..."

How bad is the damage to your ride?
Any pics?

Hope you get her running soon bud.
Good luck.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM

I keep hearing about more of this **** happening... Keep your **** locked up guys!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
I keep my bike outside my apt, as well. I got a parking spot directly under one of the lights which I guess helps.
My bike was parked under a light, outside my first floor bedroom window, in front of my car, between my two neighbours cars, with a black bike cover, in a parking lot frequented by cops, in a good neighbourhood, while I was at home.

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i
At my old apt building, I had the Mammoth ground chain anchor.

http://www.flyncycle.com/Motorcycle_...r_p/grd003.htm

Worked great, especially with 14mm Mammoth chain and lock.
I'm pretty sure thieves would look at that 14mm chain and be like: "Screw that..."

How bad is the damage to your ride?
Any pics?

Hope you get her running soon bud.
Good luck.
That thing looks like it would def work, but I doubt they'd let me do that in their parking lot.... The pics I got are crappy cell phone pics.... The bike shop hasn't even ordered the parts yet or even touched it, and they've had it for more than a week already.... thanks anyways though.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by snakerb
That thing looks like it would def work, but I doubt they'd let me do that in their parking lot.... The pics I got are crappy cell phone pics.... The bike shop hasn't even ordered the parts yet or even touched it, and they've had it for more than a week already.... thanks anyways though.
I had a total ******* of a landlord at those apt's, but he was ok with me installing the mammoth ring in the parking lot.
You can even install it behind the common yellow parking markers/bumpers (whatever they are called lol) that way no one complains.
Served me well for 5 years, and even after I moved, another biker used it when I left the complex.

I'm sure your landlord won't mind, it's really not that much of an eyesore, and I never had no one complain that I had installed it.
Just my 2cents.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that bud.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

I don't know a lot about MC insurance, but the usual means of being repaid when someone is found guilty of a crime and things are stolen or damaged - your insurance company will settle with you for whatever they are going to settle for - and you will get your bike repaired or replaced, etc - but you will have to pay the deductible. If and when the thief is convicted, your insurance company I believe is obligated to go after them for your deductible, but they may not work too hard to get the money since they aren't out anything. I was once in the same boat, and had to follow up lots of times and did not ever reclaim any funds from the person convicted ;-(

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I'm glad you got your bike back. If you're savy with working on the bike, then do the work yourself. Most of the damage is going to be cosmetic. Things you can take off and put back on. Get a list of parts from a dealer along with an estimate. It should include the labor to replace as well. Naturally the parts from the dealer will be at MSRP (retail). Taking into account that you don't have to pay for the labor if you're doing it yourself, and you get the parts from a place like Ron Ayers or Service Honda where the prices are about 30% below retail, you could come out on top. Then at some point in the future, when the perp has to make restitution, you'll be ahead. The only monetary thing you're going to be able to claim against the perp is the deductible from the insurance company. In Florida, the States Attorney as well as the District Attorneys have what's called a Victoms Advocate. They keep you informed of what's happening with the case as it progress' through the courts. Maybe your state has the same.

I went through the same thing when my wifes bike was stolen a couple of years ago from a hotel in Tampa, FL. I did exactly what I said above and came out a little ahead by a couple of hundred bucks. And yes, the guy did pay the $500 deductable that I had on the bike.

Quick Reply: Stolen :(