Steering Damper

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Damper

I see everyone on here recomending steering dampers and talking about how they can really save you some trouble. But I have some questions before I drop the cash on one.

If dampers are so great why dont they get designed into bikes, are there any disadvantages to them, and what exactly are all the advantages?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Steering Damper

Dampers are for riders who are new!!!
and it saves the bike from falling onto the sides when riders are making sharp turns and are immature riders!!
But if you are able to pick ur bike up from the front and ride it for couple of seconds..i dont think u need to waste money on it!!
they are really a waste of money!!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 PM

They are designed in the bike... just not as good as the aftermarket ones. That's like asking why they don't come with the eliminator kit already installed... or the turn signals a lot smaller.. or with aftermarket exhaust. A disadvantage is how huge they are compared to not having one... if you look at pictures, they are fairly big (tall) compared to the height of the nut on there in stock form.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM

I preffer to ride w/out em.......... but that's just me.I get better road feel and wheel feedback w/out em. I've been to mutitrack days and I'm on my fifth bike w/out one. Now don't get me wrong I've been on my *** sliding across da street from a nasty tank slap but it only made learn and become a better rider w/out a damper. I use to recommend em to everyone like but they're kinda like band-aids. If U learnto fine tune UR thottle control U'll find a better way to spend $400. My latest ride is a RC51 minus a damper.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: xxenycejattxx

and it saves the bike from falling onto the sides when riders are making sharp turns and are immature riders!!
But if you are able to pick ur bike up from the front and ride it for couple of seconds..i dont think u need to waste money on it!!
[sm=insomnia.gif]....

Steering dampeners are great. but dont tighten them to the max because that works against the suspension. they might save your ***, you might be too fair from saving... they do put them on new bikes, some are electronically controled.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 PM

i think that the dumbest piece of advice or quote i have seen on here. its crazy how people just ramble this stuff off w/o a clue.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Looks like there are mixed reviews. I dont know anything about dampeners before I joined this forum and still really dont. But I've been riding fine all these years without changing it so I dont think im gonna spend the money. I do fine in the corners its gotten "iffy" a few times but Iv always come away clean so far. (knock on would). I dont think I wanna do something that is gonna change the way the bike reacts.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 PM

For new riders??? Yea, it's those new MotoGP guys and AMA Superbike racersthat have them (like...all of them). Honda put them on the RC211V MotoGP machine 'cause those guys are all new.

What's a damper actually do? In a nutshell, it ensures steering and front-end stability by reducing kickbacks (and the associated front-end shakes or "tank slapper")

Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Well Im definatly no motoGP rider but I probably cant hit the corners as hard as they can either. Dont get me wrong I love going fast through the twisties but Im not gonna claim to be as fast as the pros, if I was I'd be a pro. But Im not just a regular guy, I still think Im gonna keep it stock for now maybe if I have a real bad scare Ill spend the money but right now Im pretty confident I can handle it.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Nothing wrong with that, just don't think you don't need one because only "new" riders need one. You may not need one yetbecause of your riding style. Search this forum for "tank slapper" or "head shake".

Quick Reply: Steering Damper