Sport Rider Magazine "Bike Of The Year"

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Rider Magazine "Bike Of The Year"

I recently received my November '07 copy of Sport Rider magazine and this issue has an extensive 11 page spread comparing their class winners in the literbike, middleweight and exotic sportbike categories to determine the overall Bike of the Year. They compare the Suzuki GSX-R1000, the CBR600RR, and the Ducati 1098S in various tests and categories and assign points. It is a really good article with a broad range of opinions, comparisons, graphs, track times, strip performance, streetablity, etc. It has a noticable dash of "liter bike bias" in it for sure.

The amazing thing about the testing was that the CBR holds its own really well against bikes that are cranking out a lot more HP, not to mention that sell for a lot more money. The main area where the CBR fell a short in the comparo was in engine power (no kidding), but it was right up there or topping the other bikes in areas like quality, instruments, chassis and handleing, suspension, and transmission.

The Suzuki ended up with 94.3 points, the CBR600RR scored 93.1 and the 1098S was third with 88.4. If you have a chance to look at the article it is intersting reading.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Sport Rider Magazine "Bike Of The Year"

I'm gonna have to stop by the newwstand tomorow and get it. Let's hope there are some left.

Hell yeah, Sport Rider is one of my favorite bike mags out there. Even if they do have a little bit of Displacement = gonads volume syndrome

Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM

On my way to Barnes and Noble.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Why would they test the 600 against liters? That just doesn't seem appropriate especially when comparing engine power.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM

it seemed to me that it was a bit ridiculous, they tested the bikes as if they were equal displacement having engine power numbers all over the place and times also, i think for overall bike of the year, if they arent going to have the same displacement, this should not be included in the analysis.... i know its impossible to ignore one bike having 50 or so more horses then another but this is what made the suzuki win in the end, it won big points on engine performance etc etc... and the honda didnt score as high in these areas which made it the bike of the year????? i mean come on sport rider, if your going to compare bikes that are 400cc's apart in displacement at least make it a reasonable comparo

Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Why would they test the 600 against liters? That just doesn't seem appropriate especially when comparing engine power.
Because the new 600 is so good, that it can hold its own against the liters.

The new GSX-R is an awesome bike too.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM

why they dont compare the 600cc bike to vespas? that seems like an article that would make some headway.
i never did understand why this happens, when the a comparison testing is not uniformed and samples are taken outside the category.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that Sport Rider is biased towards liter bikes and the GSX-R. Even when the 600RR won the 600-class challenge, you could tell they weren't happy with the results because their beloved GSX-R didn't win. I love the magazine, but you tell who they prefer.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I've noticed that Sport Rider is biased towards liter bikes and the GSX-R. Even when the 600RR won the 600-class challenge, you could tell they weren't happy with the results because their beloved GSX-R didn't win. I love the magazine, but you tell who they prefer.

Damn squids. Bet they're doing wheelies down main street in the test. [8D]

Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 AM

The whole concept is bike of the year. They already did a 600 and a 1000 test seperately. They took the winners and put them against each other for a best of the best.

Quick Reply: Sport Rider Magazine "Bike Of The Year"