The Speedo Thing...no, not the bathing suit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Speedo Thing...no, not the bathing suit

So, not to stir up bad blood or bad feelings or whatever...butI was reading the interesting thread on the speedometer being off (which is now locked) when it turned into a shouting match (which was ridiculous)and then I got all sad reading how a forum member had died in a bikeaccident (RIP)after posting on here, and it reminds me of my boy who died at Xmas in a car accident (RIP Mikey Young, I WILL see you again someday) and my stepbrother who died on a bike at 18 when I was 12...damn man, life just really sucks sometimes...

...but I want to know what can you do to get the speedometer to read correctly? A few members wrote that you can buy after market parts to correct the speedometer, but are they really off that much and are expensive? And is that a problem on just Honda's, or all bikes? And has Honda done anything on the newer bikes to try to correct this problem?

And am I correct in saying that they problem is showing higher MPH than you are actually going? Which considering how fast these things go, may not be a bad thing.

Rest In Peace to all of those who are taken from this world much too early and w/o warning...lets all ride safe and make sure to make it home to our loved ones.

#1 goal for this season...to get full gear by the end of summer. I always wear a helmet, but usually just wear jeans/sweat shirts, but I think that'll change this year.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23483/49039B84AAC94201A895F95989AC616D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Default RE: The Speedo Thing...no, not the bathing suit

Every bike (and car) that I know of comes from the factory with a 5% or more error. This is easily verified with a GPS device. The bike will always read faster than it is actually going. This means the odometer will also be off a small amount.

You can purchase either a "SpeedoHealer" or a "Yellow Box" to correct your spedometer. SpeedoHealer is the most popular. It will cost ~$100 and can be fine-tuned to your bike. You can also order it as a Plug-n-Play (no wire splicing).

I dropped my front gear 1 tooth as did my friend. My speed way calibrated with a Speedo Healer and a GPS, his wasn't. His speedometer read 79-80mph when we were only going 70. KEEP IN MIND that this was after regearing the bike (not stock)

Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Users

onarom, what plug and play are you talking about?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:26 PM

google Speedohealer

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Onarom

Every bike (and car) that I know of comes from the factory with a 5% or more error. This is easily verified with a GPS device. The bike will always read faster than it is actually going. This means the odometer will also be off a small amount.
On a stock bike, the speedometer is off around 5%, but the odometer is not. That's the design method. If you add a Speedohealer, it will make the speedometer correct but the odometer off.

Check out the Speedohealer FAQ site for a more in-depth explanation.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: icon skull

onarom, what plug and play are you talking about?
I a referring to the "Honda II" harness that comes with the speedohealer (that is the one for my 1000RR, anyway). No splicing of any wires. Just plugs in to the exsisting wiring.

This is a photo that was on thier website - it's not the best, but you get the idea.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on this. Ride reasonably and within your limits and you will be fine. Spend your money and energy on something else.

BTW- I went by one of those "Your Speed Is" signs. And it was right on, (at 53mph).

Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM

I don't think I am going to waste $100 on this, thx everyone for the input. I'm a relatively new rider (I have about 6,000 miles under the belt) and in CT we can't ride year round. But I'd rather have my odometer on point than the speedometer, and if it reads higher than the speed I am actually going, that's something I can live with. So at 100 mph, it will read 105...and at 150 mph it will read 158 mph...I get it...thanks everyone!!

So I'm just learning all this stuff about bikes and the speedo being off is (or was, now) news to me.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

So, not to stir up bad blood or bad feelings or whatever...butI was reading the interesting thread on the speedometer being off (which is now locked) when it turned into a shouting match (which was ridiculous)and then I got all sad reading how a forum member had died in a bikeaccident (RIP)after posting on here, and it reminds me of my boy who died at Xmas in a car accident (RIP Mikey Young, I WILL see you again someday) and my stepbrother who died on a bike at 18 when I was 12...damn man, life just really sucks sometimes...
+1 jfunkRR. I was going to start a similar thread because the same thing happened to me. After the now-locked thread got locked, I think I read the same post as you did that the dude posted the day before he died. What really drove it home to me was that it was only a few miles from where I work, so this dude was out there riding the same streets as me.

Tom Cruise said it best in Vanilla Sky..."Isn't that what being young is about, believing secretly that you would be the one person in the history of man that would live forever?" The fact is we don't live forever, and just the single fact that we ride sport bikes puts us at a higher risk to prove that. I know I was a part of team nitwit on the other thread, admitting that I do speed and break laws, but the truth of the matter is that it's a dangerous game out there.

I guess all I'm saying here is be safe guys. I never like reading about anybody getting hurt or worse, even if it is people I only know from an avatar and a few posts. "Did you hear about that Diabeetus dude on the forum? He wrecked his ride 2 days after posting a safety thread!" For real though guys, be safe out there. And if you're a stunter, try to keep that in some designated areas. Few things irk me worse than seeing a dude doing triple digits down the highway with his wheel in the air...essentially his life is in the hands of a pothole or any old person on their way to the discount buffett who decides to change lanes without looking.

Spring is just around the corner, so gear up, be defensive, and have a good time on those CBRs. nitwit out

Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM

shoortbuss, I think we are all part of team nitwit at one point or another, I mean, these bikes are not made to go under 40 mph. My bike, and I'm sure every other Honda, seems to bark at me under 6000 rpm, but when you get up over 6000 rpm, she purrs like a kitten before she really starts to scream around 10,000 to 15,000 rpm...the fact is, these bikes are made to go fast and we have all, at one time or another, sped down the highway or on a street somewhere. Laws are made to be broken, and you'll pay the consequence if caught. But the severity of the law your willing to break and how you do it determines what kind of person you really are, and all of us on here are friends in one way or another because we all enjoy putting our lives at risk for a thrill of some kind we get from being free on the open road. It's what makes us Americans.

It's like what I told all my friends after 9/11, (my b-day is 9/11, btw)...I'm not going to change my life or plans around what some A-RAB did to get his kicks, because that's exactly what they wanted to happen. I'd rather live free and die doing it than to go thru life afraid to do anything that someone else thinks I shouldn't or doesn't want me to do...and this in fact gave me some solice when my boy died at xmas...he lived his life doing what he wanted to do and unfortunately he is gone now physically, but he will always be here inside of me and his twin sister and his mom and dad...and I know that someday, although a long time away, I will see him again and we'll be sitting on a cloud, creating a cloud, jamming out to Bob Marley like we used to...

I have alot of friends that are stunters (they are part of Adrenaline Crew) and they ride parking lots doing sick@ss stuff on a bike, but not at speeds that will kill them and always wearing gear, whether it's 100 outside or not. They may get hurt, but they heal and they rarely need a hospital. I also know guys in my town that have gone down on the highway doing 80-100 mph wheelies down I-84 and one dude lost a leg and anotherhad to re-learn towalkand can'tmove his foot about his ankle and he's only25 yo. Why? Showing off?
I enjoy keeping two wheels down at all times and have no desire to wheelie or even try it...but that's just me. I also know someone who always rode w/i his limits and no wheelies or anything, and was cruising down the highway when all of a sudden the bike just left him and he almost died and broke his back...come to find out, he had hit a trailer hitch ball that somehow fell off a truck. Bad s**t happens, man...and to good people. But will that stop me (or anyone on here) from getting on there bike tomorrow...no, probably not...and why? Because we all want to live our lives as we see fit, that's the beauty of being an American citizen.

I have so many thoughts and emotions on this subject, but I can't possibly write them all here or it would be a novel...so I'll just leave it at this...ride w/i your limits, don't be stupid, keep your eyes open in the saddle and we'll all be better off in the long run.

And another thing that I find totally moronic that I see all the time...is dudes riding down the road with the helmet locked into the little hanger thing under the passenger seat. Dude got a helmet, and he's riding with it, but not on his head. All it becomes is a $300 frame slider. IDIOTS. If my step-brother had been wearing a helmet, I would have known him for the past 18 years of my life.

Quick Reply: The Speedo Thing...no, not the bathing suit