speed shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed shifting

i know, or think, that speed shifting is just a clutchless shift that is suppose to be done without even letting off the gas. or thats just what i saw on tv on the superbikes show. i know he said you can only do it when accelerating. is this possible and is it good for your bike? im thinking that it would not be since you have the clutch for a reason. just curious. not that i want to, it just doesnt seem good for the bike.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Default RE: speed shifting

To "speed shift" as you probably saw on TV you skip the clutch and just lift on the shift lever but you HAVE to let off the gas or you will not unload the tranny to allow it to slip into gear. If you pin it open and dont use the clutch you couldn't pry that thing to the next gear, the load is far too much.
There are "quick shifters" that plug into a PCIII USB and THAT will allow full throttle clutchless upshifts but it still unloads the tranny by killing spark for fractions of a second. JUST long enough to snag the next gear.

It will not hurt your bike if done properly.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM

yeah if you dont want to let off the gas you have to get a quick shifter

otherwise
load the lever by putting your foot on it and applying pressure acellerate, let off the gas, the lever will jump into gear almost the instant you let off the gas, get back on the gas,

if you dont load the pedal or let off the gas enough it will either jump or grind
it takes a little practice.

but unless you are trying to just get that last .05 seconds off your lap time you can clutch shift almost just as fast

Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM

thanks. i was racing abuddy of mine the other day and i didn't know if speed shifting made that big of a difference

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 AM

i mean you cant grandma shift it but if you load the pedal as soon as you pull in the clutch its going into gear.

it should take as long to pull the clutch in and out as it would to let off the gas and back on it.

you will know you did it right because the lever will just fall into gear smooth as butter with no resistance

Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it a few times at the track, but I'm pretty good at quick-clutch shifting, that it really doesn't provide that much of a benefit. Racing or trying to set a lap time, yes. Fooling around on a track day, or street riding......not so much of a benefit.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM

Just go buy a air shift kit !!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:35 PM

ok i know im new and everything but what do you mean by loading the pedal? you mean just putting it in the next gear?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM

loading the pedal is putting your foot on the shifter and putting pressure like you are putting it in gear. then if you pull the clutch or let off the gas the bike will shift very quickly and smoothly

Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM

speaking of superbikes, did u see the episode where they went to some guy's shop and he had a bike with a clutchless shifter? the shifter was up on the handlebar where the horn and signals are. it was essentially a tiptronic shifter for a bike. looked cool.

Quick Reply: speed shifting