So is it true what others have been saying that you are bound to drop your bike atleast once?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So is it true what others have been saying that you are bound to drop your bike atleast once?

Well I have all the neccessary gears so hopefully I am prepared for the worst. Loving the bike though and I can't seem to picture myself not having one it is an obssession lol hey Bravo yea could you send me the link Id really appreciate it! thanks all

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Default RE: So is it true what others have been saying that you are bound to drop your bike atleast once?

Yes, all what these guys are saying is true. Its just a matter of time before you will. Maybe not this bike or the next or the next. But it will happen. As long as you ride within your limits your odd of not dropping it will be better off.

I bought my bike on August 13th. .. On August 14th I lost my footing doing a U turn in a parking lot and almost dropped her on the second day!. I woulda been pissed. Then about4 days ago at the track I caught water or antifreeze off the line and my back tire just spun like crazy turning the bike35 degrees perpendicular to the track... Almost Highsided! In a month in two weeks and 3k miles on it and I've had a total of 4 close calls. (At the track, U turn, Cager over the Line, and Locking up the back brake going into a turn).

Goodluck and Ride Safe!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

So here's a quick question then, and simultaneously an answer to your question.

How does one intend to become a better rider without taking risks, without defining and re-defining their limits? When I first got my bike, I was scared $#%&less to get off the bike to initiate a lean! After a while, more seat time, I feel a bit more comfortable doing so. I don't think I would be able to obtain a greater lean angle than I do now, because it would be "outside my limits".

The statement "ride within your limits" is too vague. To become a better rider, there's that fine line that you walk, outside of your limits to redefine what your new limits are. Once you've established that, then it's a matter of time and practice to ride within your new limits. If you are consistent riding within your limits and not planning on improving your skills, then chances of you dropping the bike/ going down are slim. Whenever you redefine your limits in an attempt to become a better rider, that's when you're at risk. I hope that helps. I am still a novice rider, but I have learned A LOT that I wouldn't have probably learned if I didn't have the present resources. Best of luck.

E

Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM

i've dropped mine 5 times now - twice within the last week. feels pretty stupid. especially since i was so sure that i'd never wreck, just because everyone said i would. fortunately, 5 of 5 falls were under 5 mph, and 4 of 5 didn't cause any damage. the only one that happened while i was screwing around was when i came down from a stoppie leaned over and i wasn't moving. at 5'5, getting leaned over at all at a stop is almost a guarantee i'm going to have a hard time catching it when it starts to fall. one thing though - EVERY time i've dropped my bike, i was either nervous, sleepy, or fatigued. and +1 to the comment about you are in complete control because you are ..just try to remain in complete control.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM

i remember in my msf class they told us that 90% of all accidents are rider w/in their first year riding. and a big percentage of those accidents involved the rider using alcohol or drugs.

i had a sh!##y bike the first 6 mos that i never laid down but dropped countless times (moving it from the backyard, etc). then in 2004 i got a brand new cbr 600rr, and laid it down during the 3rd month. since then, never dropped or laid down. i was making a right turn early in the morning with a hangover leavig a friends house, i was only going about 30mph in the residential, i tried to get more lean by pressing down with my right hand and feet, i'm pretty sure i mustof accidently stomped and locked the rear brake, then when coming out of the turn the rear kicked and bucked like crazy and we slid for a good while. didn't know i would slide for so long when i didn't think i was going that fast. bike estimate for repair was $4000, or $700 to make it just street rideable ( i only had liability).

i think the best way to get experience is to keep riding. make it part of your week by taking it to work or school. that's wht i do. for me, and maybe i'll get stoned for saying this, it get's boring after a while of riding just aimlessly. i take mine for a 20 min ride to school and back everyday.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 PM

+1 nervous, sleepy, fatigued, hung over :P

Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Keep in mind "drop" is a nice little euphemism for "wreck".
ORIGINAL: thecannibalchef

The night I "dropped" mine was because I foolishly went on a ride because my brother had to leave the next day and it was our last chance to get a ride in before he left. I had woken up at 0400 to go to work and we left at1930 with a goal of being back by 2030, we lost track of time and stayed out an extra hour and I was exhausted and didn't see the gravel in my line around an on-ramp on one of the darkest parts of the highway we were riding. Lost rear traction, saved it for a second then got thrown off like a high side while the bike low-sided (thank God). Which brings me to my next point- always wear full gear, no matter what.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Juggernaut

Keep in mind "drop" is a nice little euphemism for "wreck".
ORIGINAL: thecannibalchef

The night I "dropped" mine was because I foolishly went on a ride because my brother had to leave the next day and it was our last chance to get a ride in before he left. I had woken up at 0400 to go to work and we left at1930 with a goal of being back by 2030, we lost track of time and stayed out an extra hour and I was exhausted and didn't see the gravel in my line around an on-ramp on one of the darkest parts of the highway we were riding. Lost rear traction, saved it for a second then got thrown off like a high side while the bike low-sided (thank God). Which brings me to my next point- always wear full gear, no matter what.
Did you maintain your throttle when you hit that batch of gravel?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 PM

You'd be surprised how many people forget about the kickstand. Doh!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM

everybody drops!
i recommend that you dont worry about dropping it. you dont need something like that plagueing your mind when you are riding.
dont pay mind to dropping it, just try your best to assure that you can get up and walk away after the drop.
good luck/

Quick Reply: So is it true what others have been saying that you are bound to drop your bike atleast once?