Shock Measurements - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this swap works out well, even if Im not taking this on a track a ebay shock will be LIGHTYEARS better than my 15yr f3 shock

Old 03-03-2011, 03:58 PM

is the RR reservoir going to fit? and that 12.2 vs 12 inch difference would worry me, you may want to mod the linkage to adjust for that.

As for measurements, I have an 06 in pieces right now. I'd love to help you but I am not sure of the differences. If you can verify that an 06 has the same shock sizes as the 07-09, let me know.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
The '06 isn't the same type of bottom mount so it wouldn't work without an adapter, but thank you for the offer.

.2 inches, and maybe even less depending on preload (remember, the shock IS "adjustable" a little bit) will be almost negligible to me. Having the change in geometry will make the bike turn in better however and I'll lose some top end stability, which I'm not worried about. A better handling bike at the possible expense (I'm not convinced there's much of a length difference) of top end stability is a definite trade off I'm willing to accept..and even embrace. Though, at TWS, the front straight speeds regularly top out bikes, so a steering stabilizer may be in my future somewhere...and will be needed if I end up racing in the CMRA half way through the year.

I've measured the area where the resi will go and there is room for it.
You put "adjustable" in quotes... So I am assuming you know not to rely on preload for any length adjustments. That is specifically for adjusting sag.

Anyway, sounds like you mostly know what you are getting your self into. If you wouldn't mind when you get this all figured out, let me know if you notice any handling problems. You won't notice them until you are pushing good times, just curious as to how much .2 inches will effect you.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Getting myself into?

Do you race? Or do a lot of trackdays?

You know .2" is half a centimeter right? I dropped the triples on my 1125R father than that for a quicker turn in and to use more of the front tire....you're blowing this waaaay out of proportion.

Regardless I'll let everyone know how I like the setup as well as the racetech stuff.
I do a lot of track days. Can't afford to race. Maybe you just aren't pushing your bike to its limits yet, when you do, all of these little 5mm adjustments make or break you and you notice them fast. I really don't know what level you are at, its just info. If you need it, soak it up, if not then disregard it. I'm just talking, not trying to insult. :P

Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm a slow level 3 rider and I'm pushing the 1125 pretty hard, enough to need AMA spec rotors and pads...still not running penske or ohlins though. The idea to drop the front on the 1125R came from a guy who races it in the CMRA and WERA regionals. The little adjustments can hinder and help, as I'm certain you know. In this situation, it should help the slower relative handling of the F4 and the RRs damping valves should also help in smoothing **** out.

Where are you doing TDs at? NJMP and Beaver are closest right? Maybe mid-ohio?
I like to hit up the beaver... Slow level 3 as well. Was using a bone stock F2 with 55k miles on the suspension lol... Recently picked up an 06 600rr, can't wait to get it on the track and feel the difference.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM

I'm a slow level 3 rider and I'm pushing the 1125 pretty hard, enough to need AMA spec rotors and pads...still not running penske or ohlins though. The idea to drop the front on the 1125R came from a guy who races it in the CMRA and WERA regionals. The little adjustments can hinder and help, as I'm certain you know. In this situation, it should help the slower relative handling of the F4 and the RRs damping valves should also help in smoothing **** out.

Where are you doing TDs at? NJMP and Beaver are closest right? Maybe mid-ohio?
Mid-Ohio <3333333

Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM

I really want to move back to the Pittsburgh area in the upcoming year or two. I WILL be riding mid-ohio if I do!!!
I am ready to move south so that I can track year round. lol