Shifting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting troubles

Hey everyone,

I haveover 7k miles on my 06' 600RR. I did an oil change a few weeks ago (I used all recommended parts). Within the last two days I have had trouble up-shifting. It should be a nice smooth shift, but sometimes I will be driving along and I will upshift, but nothing happens.

The shifter does the same motion as it would regularly, but something internally doesn't happen. It clicks up, but nothing. Overall my shifting has changed somehow?

Any ideas on how or why this happens? I also get a clunk when I shift into first gear at a stop light, and when I let the clutch out when I'm in first gear too. The clunk seems unhealthy.

Could I be needing another chain adjustment?

Thanks for reading,
Rideout

Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Shifting troubles

Did you use the reccomended oil? You said parts. Oil choice is more important in a bike since it lubricates the wet clutch system as well as the engine.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM

I used 10w- 40. I had trouble before the oil change. There is a lag in throttle response too so I'm thinking I need to check the chain tension.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Just to re-cap. My chain was way too tight from when the dealer replaced my tire so I had to give it a considerable amount of slack. Shifting problem solved!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM

Stories like this makes me wish I could do all the work on my bike myself. I'm learning, but not ready yet to tackle the 600 mile check.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Drekkyk

Stories like this makes me wish I could do all the work on my bike myself. I'm learning, but not ready yet to tackle the 600 mile check.
600 mile check? No much to it. Change oil, check chain, fluids, and clutch adjustment. If you can't tackle that your screwed. I spent $700+ on plugs, air filter, tires, and brakes a couple months ago at the dealer ship. I told them to check the chain too. They said the chain was good but it was worn the **** out, They sold me on tires I didn't like (my fault), I was missing some fasteners on my plastics, and I'm not sure they installed the air filter right. Now I don't trust anyone to touch my bike. I've sence installed a new chain and sprockets myself and the next time I buy tires I'll take them just the rims. Seems they are pretty simple to work on with the right tools.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Well, since these bikes are mass produced, its probably wise to have an experienced eye look at it. I could probably do all the work, but I really wouldn't know if something is seriously wrong. I figure I would have it checked at the 600 mile mark by a different dealer then I bought it from, then do the rest of the maint myself.

This way if anything happens, I can say the stealership gave it the a.ok, at the 600 mile point.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Ok guys, a year later and it's shifting fine still.

New problem though...

While in first gear, when I ease the clutch out in stop and go traffic my chain/ gear box/ unknown part clunks!

It clunks and the chain seems to get tight.

I checked and double checked my chain, it is fine. The clunk happens when I release the clutch lever and it is coming from the left side of the bike.

Any body have any ideas?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 AM

dam man, way to keep up with your old posts. lol

hope you know more about your bike now.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM

What does "hope you know more about your bike now" mean?

Quick Reply: Shifting troubles