Shifting to Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting to Neutral

I have a 05 tribal and i don't know about any of you guys but this happened to me twice and i am wondering if anyone else has experienced it. Anyway, while i am gradually slowing to a stop or a red light, sometimes the gear wont shift it neutral or even first. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this or is it just me? thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2005, 02:12 AM
Default RE: Shifting to Neutral

Every bike I have ever owned has done that. does not seem to matter who makes it.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Retired Administrator

I ran into it a couple of times after I've rode for awhile and then tried to ride in stop and go traffic. It'll switch gears but you have to slam it. I've also ran into getting stuck in neutral at a light, again, slam. I've been told, but we need to research it before we try anything.... to change the weight of the engine oil. I've been meaning to look into it, but it doesn't happen often enough to me to remember to research it. When the engine heats up the oil, do we need a heavier or lighter oil to shift easier? I am still just over the 3k mark on mileage so I’m running what ever Honda puts in. What oil and weight should we use?

Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 AM

LOL! You freakin' newbies!

It's typical of just about every motorcycle and the solution is pretty easy...either blip the throttle between gears (if you don't know how to blip that's another newbie issue) or when the gears get stuck, let the clutch out a little bit (not enough to fully enguage) then pull the clutch back in and continue down shifting.

This happens because bikes don't have syncros like a car and their transmissions need to be moving for the gears to mesh.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 PM

you can also roll the bike forward or back and it should engage for you.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

LOL! You freakin' newbies!

It's typical of just about every motorcycle and the solution is pretty easy...either blip the throttle between gears (if you don't know how to blip that's another newbie issue) or when the gears get stuck, let the clutch out a little bit (not enough to fully enguage) then pull the clutch back in and continue down shifting.

This happens because bikes don't have syncros like a car and their transmissions need to be moving for the gears to mesh.
Yep.. also when downshifting to 1st at a light or a stoplight, and it clicks loud, you can stop that by "blip" just pop a baby throttle snap and then go from there... took care of my 04's problem... or when your downshifting SUPER fast, from higher gears, rev higher and then shift.. sometimes the blip needs a higher blip.. you'll figure it out though all in time...

Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: blinkster240

you can also roll the bike forward or back and it should engage for you.

Thats what I do if it ever happens.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:19 PM

When it gets stuck either in neutral or in a gear at a red light just let that clutch all the way out, you'll hear it click. Especially when stuck ina gear, let the clutch out slowly and it will click and engage and the bike will pull forward a bit, as soon as that happens pull the clutchs back in so you don't stall and shift outta the gear.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:46 PM

I do what Fretless says (let the clutch out a little bit and then bring it back in and downshift).

Old 09-26-2005, 05:49 PM

Haha, dont feel too bad. I had the same problem a couple times before I figured out the bike likes to be moving when you change gears. Took me a while to break the habit of waiting until I was stopped to downshift (like I always do in my car). When it happens to me I just let out the clutch a bit and give her a tiny bit of throttle. As others have said you will hear a click and then you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Shifting to Neutral