Shifting(cruise vs speed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifting(cruise vs speed)

ORIGINAL: Madhadda

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Yeah, if you're just riding around like a sane person, just shift around the 4-5k mark like Nauree stated. When I see other sportbikes around town leaving it in first going 45-50 (and going miles like that.) You just want to smack them.
Ohh yeah for sure. But for those sticky situations (stated above), it'd be nice to know when i should shift to get full potential out of my acceleration
You can go faster than any posted speed limit in the United States in 1st gear alone............so even if you accidentally click it down to 1st and you're doing 45mph, technically, you'll be fine (though, it'll be a hell of a jolt)

The "good" midrange power starts at about 6,000 RPM...........the "kick-you-in-the-*****-with-spike-tipped-boots" acceleration kicks in at about 11,500 RPM. If you're in light traffic, keep it at around 5-6k. If you're in medium to heavy traffic, click it down a gear and you'll be well into power band.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will find your own way on this one
if the engine is lugging downshift.

if it is sounding a little wound up upshift.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: iroc

i have an 05...and im guilty of runnin 6th alot at lower rpms..is this gonna plague me as well?
You're stressing the engine, transmission, etc.

The last thing you want to do on a bike that redlines at 15k, is run it around town at 3k rpm's.

That's the worst thing you can do to an engine, bike, et al.

These bikes are made for performance and are designed from the blueprints up to be ridden "hard".

By that I don't mean you should be banging the rev limiter in a 30 mph zone.

What I do mean is that between say 5k and 11k your engine is operating as it should. Optimally, with little to no stress on the components over and above what they were designed for.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:57 PM

......WHAT?! You've got to be joking.... Stressing the engine? hahahahaha! get real...! this is non-sense! the bike only needs like 2 hp to keep going on the street. at 3000 rpm it's got like 15hp availible! stressing the engine... i've never heard something so idiotic.
ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

i have an 05...and im guilty of runnin 6th alot at lower rpms..is this gonna plague me as well?

The last thing you want to do on a bike that redlines at 15k, is run it around town at 3k rpm's.

These bikes are made for performance and are designed from the blueprints up to be ridden "hard".

What I do mean is that between say 5k and 11k your engine is operating as it should. Optimally, with little to no stress on the components over and above what they were designed for.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

......WHAT?! You've got to be joking.... Stressing the engine? hahahahaha! get real...! this is non-sense! the bike only needs like 2 hp to keep going on the street. at 3000 rpm it's got like 15hp availible! stressing the engine... i've never heard something so idiotic.
ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Wow, and here I thought you actually knew something about bikes.

Ever think of hills, bumps, traffic?

No...because you read and regurgitate instead of actually knowing something.

Keep to your power charging system posts, at least there you sound smart.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I will say that I have to agree with BMG on the bogging issue. The manual states that if you are "bogging" the engine at low RPM, it could cause damage. If you go 15 mph in 6th gear and try to go, your engine makes a distinct noise and vibration.............kind of like a manual transmission car does when it's about to stall out from starting off in too high of a gear.

But, I have to disagree with cruising around town in 6th. 6th gear at 35 mph hovers around the 4500-5000 RPM mark.........which is perfectly fine. But 3000 RPM is far too low for crusing and bogs down the engine. (which the owners manual says could be harmful and cause damage).

Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM

as long as the engine is not lugging
you are not stressing anything.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Opps I'm guilty of having it lug sometime [&:].. Good thing I read this.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ I will say that I have to agree with BMG on the bogging issue. The manual states that if you are "bogging" the engine at low RPM, it could cause damage. If you go 15 mph in 6th gear and try to go, your engine makes a distinct noise and vibration.............kind of like a manual transmission car does when it's about to stall out from starting off in too high of a gear.

But, I have to disagree with cruising around town in 6th. 6th gear at 35 mph hovers around the 4500-5000 RPM mark.........which is perfectly fine. But 3000 RPM is far too low for crusing and bogs down the engine. (which the owners manual says could be harmful and cause damage).
Ahh...at least someone understands what I was getting at.

That was exactly what I was referring to...."lugging the engine".

Just ride the thing. [sm=shades.gif]

You'll learn what's right and wrong by trial and error, and since the bike has safeguards such as rev limiters, shift lights, etc...even
a complete novice would have to be a blithering idiot to **** things up completely.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Opps I'm guilty of having it lug sometime [&:].. Good thing I read this.
WOOT, my 3rd post (out of 3) that has helped someone asides myself

Quick Reply: Shifting(cruise vs speed)