Shift up

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift up

Hey guys. I ride an 08 CBR 600RR (Graffiti) Im a fairly new rider.

Anyways. Lately Ive been goin out and Ill be cruising away from a light or something. Click 1st gear, click 2nd then around 3rd and up. It will randomly not go into gear. In all honesty it could very well be me not squeezing theclutch fully. The bike runs fine.

Does anyone suggest having it checked out? Or should I just concentrate on my shifting?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned
Default RE: Shift up

If you make the 1 - 2 shift OK then the rest should be eveneasier and shorter. You don't really need the clutch if you keep pressure on the shifter and ease off on the gas (search clutchless shifting). I don't think the problem is with you (1-2 shift is thelong one), I think the bike needs attention. The only thing may be you are being to nice to the bike, sometimes my tranny acts different if I take it too easy riding, it likes it a little rough and someforceful acceleration helps things engage better in my bike.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM

I can't imagine the bike having an issue (I know........contradicting the guy above). I can however imagine a rider being lazy with their shifting. (We've all been THERE before)
The clutch really doesnt have to be used if you unload the tranny (let off the gas) and lift up it'll go. I would guess you are being lazy about the shifting and dont realize it and hit a false "N". Just my theory.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM

yeah i think 527's right, i know you gotta be safe and responsible in traffic on public roads but the fact is that these bikes really don't like to go slow and cruise.. sometimes the best thing is to open it up a little bit ( but always in moderation of course...)

Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Yea I understand what your saying about wanting to go fast.

And Gixxer I understand where your coming from. But I dont thinks its a fact of me being lazy. Im still new to riding....

Its like this, when I shift up the shift lever comes up and stops. Just smoothly rises till it comes to the top and stops.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM

whenever this happens your probably usually at low rpms.. I ride an 06 600rr and i know what your talking about i really don't think theres anything wrong with your bike. i know my bike the shifting don't smooth out until atleast8-10 grand until then its kinda rough you gotta make sure you pull the shifterall the way till the gear is engaged when your just cruisin around, its not really being lazy but again like i said these bike don't like ridin slow and everything seems to work smoother at higher rpm

Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Yea I would just make sure you are at the right rpms and try puling in the clutch a little more. Sometimes if you dont open up a little bit then it might not shift up as smoothly. Try altering how you shift see if it helps. I also can not imagine something being wrong mech. with the bike seeing it is brand new.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Hey jockey-

My '07 will do the same thing from time to time---i'll be riding along, go to shift up, and the shifter moves up until it hits the stop, but no shift.

I found what caused it on my bike---sometimes after a shift, the boots i wear keep the lever from returning all the way back DOWN. Therefore, when you go to shift again, you are still in the same gear---hence the lift, but no change. Notice that when it happens, the first thing you do is drop your foot, then try and shift again, and it works.

Might not be your problem, but it was mine. If it is, try adjusting your shift lever a little higher to compensate for your boot.

-Adam

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 PM

I had to adjust the shifter lever upward on my '07 too. My work boots were not allowing the shifter to return all the way sometimes.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
RCR

If its not happening in the same gear each time, but just happening here and there in different gears its probably you. Shift at a little higher rpm then your used too. You dont have to kill it but be firm with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift up