Scooter experience = motorcycle experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first got my bike, I got quote from Progressive for over $1,000 with full coverage. Statefarm was the cheapest and they did not considered 600rr as super sport bike. So I think I am paying about $500 with 500 deductible. I know some members your age pay less on east coast.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM

when you asked about scooter = motorcycle experience.. 2 things popped in my head: counter-steering and accelerating/braking in turns.

if you feel like counter-steering is a grasped concept and you know that decelerating is pretty much braking in any turn over 15mph and you should brake before your turns and accelerate out of them.. than grab your 600cc and learn that bike!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fmscott2
I live in Raleigh, NC.

Talked to a biker friend and he's only got liability on his Harley. He's over 60 years old and pays over $200 a year. How come he pays more than I would and I'm a 22 year old male who wants a super sport bike?
Statistics. Safe bet that specific Harley is involved in more wrecks and thefts in your area than your bike

Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM

also consider the price to fix/replace a harley vs the price of yours

Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM

So what kind of things should I look for when browsing for a used RR? I know to look for the usual signs of a drop but what else can I check?

Also, how much could I expect to pay for a used bike in decent condition? I'm looking around for a 2007. I'd be looking to buy the bike outright with cash, don't want to worry with payments.

I know some dealers sell used bikes too, would anyone suggest buying from a dealer vs. Craigslist or vice versa?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

in england its pretty expensive, i was quoted on average £8000 (about $13000) for full cover, and cheapest about £1500 (about $2200) for 3rd party, which only cover legal costs, nothing else. im 23

Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the biggest things i think benefits a new rider that i never hear emphasized is the ability to handle a manual transmission. if you can't drive a stick or don't understand how a clutch & tranny operate, you shouldn't try learning to ride a motorcycle AND drive a stick at the same time -- learn one before the other.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 PM

Ok so here's a question for everyone. What's the best timeline for getting a bike? To me it seems this is the best process:

1. Take MSF course and pass
2. Get full M license
3. Look at bikes privately and at dealers
4. If buying privately, get gear first then get bike second.
5. If buying from a dealer, settle on best bike price and try to get them to include gear as a package.
6. Get your new toy home.

So my biggest question about the process is the part where you pay for the bike and want to get it home. Does the MSF course provide you with enough skills to ride the bike back home? I hear everybody say "spend a lot of time practicing in the parking lot first before venturing out into the road" but how do you get the bike home without hitting the open road? Do you get a friend to ride it for you, rent a truck, etc.? It seems a catch 22 to me.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM

The thing I've learned is MSF course or not, your abilities and skill sets on a bike an the learning curve will vary from person to person. While the course is highly recommended, if you can get time behind the wheel safely, then do so. Confidence goes hand in hand with repetition. If you learn the skills taught in the course well, then of course you can ride it home. If you were taught skills but don't feel like they are up to par, no worries. Load it up and bring it home and practice. Riding is a go at your own pace thing and patience is the best safety

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fmscott2
Ok so here's a question for everyone. What's the best timeline for getting a bike? To me it seems this is the best process:

1. Take MSF course and pass
2. Get full M license
3. Look at bikes privately and at dealers
4. If buying privately, get gear first then get bike second.
5. If buying from a dealer, settle on best bike price and try to get them to include gear as a package.
6. Get your new toy home.

So my biggest question about the process is the part where you pay for the bike and want to get it home. Does the MSF course provide you with enough skills to ride the bike back home? I hear everybody say "spend a lot of time practicing in the parking lot first before venturing out into the road" but how do you get the bike home without hitting the open road? Do you get a friend to ride it for you, rent a truck, etc.? It seems a catch 22 to me.
I am always cautious. I've yet to ride a bike home from purchase, including my brand new BMW. With my first, the F3, I thought it didn't start so i hauled it home. Turns out that it did start. but when i tore into it to raise it to stock height, I found enough things mechanically wrong that I honestly don't think I would have survived the trip. Not as a new rider.

When I bought my f4i, it was about 50 miles from home. Ororo was in much better condition but again, I uhauled it home despite having riding experience. The bike was unfamiliar to me as was the area / route home. And the experience with the F3 taught me to FULLY inspect a bike before I trust it. Only found minor things (brake fluid needed flushing, low tire pressure, old tires). But I had full confidence in Ororo when I took my 1st ride.

Which brings me to now: brand new 2011 BMW s1000rr 1 month ago. No need to tear into her. Dealer already inspected and test rode her for 12 miles. But... I had the dealer deliver Yolie to my house. I had never ridden a 1000cc bike, was completely unfamiliar with the area and it was cold as ****e with questionable weather. That was enough to make me uneasy about taking on what I expected to be basically going back to square 1: n00b on the street (and yeah, the jump from 600cc to 1000cc is making me feel like a n00b). So I waited till I could have good weather (for winter) and home field advantage.

So those are my stories. Take whatever you feel from them. The one thing I will say is this: the one low side I've experienced was on the f3, it was a n00b mistake (cold tires on wet pavement) and was well after my msf course.

Quick Reply: Scooter experience = motorcycle experience?