Scooter experience = motorcycle experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a big lot...practice practice & practice....gear up too. You sound mature enough to respect the RR's power...the MSF course will provide you a 500cc to practice (here in Cali)...and don't be afraid to buy one once you complete the MSF either...unless you have a friend that owns a RR & let you borrow to practice on..

Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a big lot...practice practice & practice....gear up too.
That's always been the plan! I've been watching a ton of youtube vids and got a bike magazine recently. I know that watching videos doesn't equate to experience or true learning, but I've mainly been watching them for general techniques and tips. Also been looking at the different bike reviews too. I've seen the Ninja 500 and the Suzuki SV-650 which also catch my eye, but nothing compares to the 600RR in terms of looks for me. Love those headlights and the center exhaust.

All gear all the time is my motto. Even when I ride my bicycles. I saw in a magazine recently that a company developed a jacket that inflates air pouches around your body in the even of a fall/crash. Definitely won't be spending $2k on that but I won't skimp on gear either.

Since I'm 22 (might be 23 before I get a bike) I'm just worried that the insurance on a 600RR is going to be outrageous. I've heard insurance can range from quite cheap to ridiculous.

I hope to find a low mileage 600RR that I can keep for years. Once I'm confident with it after a few years I'll learn to use more and more of its power. It will just take a little getting used to going from my scooter where I'm virtually full throttle all the time to a bike where you twist 1/4 and you're flying.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 AM

honestly, i dont think insurance is bad at all. I'm 21, got a $7500 accident on my record, along with 2 speeding tickets about 15mph and a drag racing ticket on my record. and with all of that, my insurance is only $138 per YEAR. just do your shopping before you get it.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by steve0o09
honestly, i dont think insurance is bad at all. I'm 21, got a $7500 accident on my record, along with 2 speeding tickets about 15mph and a drag racing ticket on my record. and with all of that, my insurance is only $138 per YEAR. just do your shopping before you get it.
Where in the world did you get such a great insurance rate?! I have NO speeding tickets, NO accidents, nothing! and my going rate is ~300 a year!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fmscott2
That's always been the plan! I've been watching a ton of youtube vids and got a bike magazine recently. I know that watching videos doesn't equate to experience or true learning, but I've mainly been watching them for general techniques and tips. Also been looking at the different bike reviews too. I've seen the Ninja 500 and the Suzuki SV-650 which also catch my eye, but nothing compares to the 600RR in terms of looks for me. Love those headlights and the center exhaust.

All gear all the time is my motto. Even when I ride my bicycles. I saw in a magazine recently that a company developed a jacket that inflates air pouches around your body in the even of a fall/crash. Definitely won't be spending $2k on that but I won't skimp on gear either.

Since I'm 22 (might be 23 before I get a bike) I'm just worried that the insurance on a 600RR is going to be outrageous. I've heard insurance can range from quite cheap to ridiculous.

I hope to find a low mileage 600RR that I can keep for years. Once I'm confident with it after a few years I'll learn to use more and more of its power. It will just take a little getting used to going from my scooter where I'm virtually full throttle all the time to a bike where you twist 1/4 and you're flying.
Where do you live? Im in Ontario (age 24) and pay 1200 a year with clean record on my 04 600RR. Location is probably your biggest factor in what you will pay for insurance.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM

steve0o09, you must have just liability coverage.

I called Progressive for a quote last night. I'm 22, no accidents, no tickets, clean record, clean credit. I asked for a quote for just liability and they gave me $134 a year. I then asked what the quote was for full coverage (liability, comprehensive, collision) at a $250 deductible and it was over $1000US.

I'm considering doing liability and comprehensive but not collision. Comprehensive covers basically everything when the wheels aren't turning. Since I don't plan on hitting anything when I'm moving AND the fact that after three years of paying insurance I could have a new bike, it's not worth it to get collision. I feel that collision insurance is worth it for your $30,000 Ducati 999 but not for a $3-5k 600RR. Like I said, after a few years of paying out the butt for full coverage you could have saved up for a new bike.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, where do you live? I'm paying $560 / year for full coverage on both my bikes: 2006 f4i & 2011 BMW s1000rr

Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by steve0o09

It depends on what type of insurance. Full coverage on my 2008 CBR600RR was about $3000 a year, so i decided to just get the state minimum with no collision and it was only $200 dollars a year. Insurance is all about statistics, sports bikes are very likely to get crashed (look at the demographic that rides them, young males) so of course the insurance company is going to cover themselves by making full coverage astronomical.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM

yeah i've only got liability. figured, why pay 1200 a year, when the value of my bike is maybe 3k?? to me, the math didnt add up in my favor. so i just pay the minimum. i wrecked my bike, and for $750 i put brand new everything on it the way that i want it (paint, powder coat, new peices) so i'd say, at least in my case, theres no point for full coverage. plus i still have no record of any incidents on my bike.

ps. i'm from central illinois

Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Again, where do you live? I'm paying $560 / year for full coverage on both my bikes: 2006 f4i & 2011 BMW s1000rr
I live in Raleigh, NC.

Talked to a biker friend and he's only got liability on his Harley. He's over 60 years old and pays over $200 a year. How come he pays more than I would and I'm a 22 year old male who wants a super sport bike?

Quick Reply: Scooter experience = motorcycle experience?