Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sad Day

It takes a bit of guts to go and ask for a new one,but like it has been said previously in this forum before,if its been down the road then you wouldnt know what hidden things may be on it. A mate of mine had an old race TZ 250,and he kept highsiding it on the left handers,after the third highside,they had a good look at the frame and could see that the swingarm was 4mm out of line,thats what they thought may have been causing him to crash so often,either that or it was an unbelievable coincidence. What im trying to say is watch out for a bike that has been down the road there may be hidden faults you dont know about.
So if they dont give you a new one be sure to give it a thorough check all over. Its good of them to give you the parts free,but it is the least they could do,i would try and get a new one for sure. Pretty bad someone else crashing your new bike though......ouch!

Old 08-26-2005, 06:38 PM

I gotta agree, this isn't a car. The first thing a motorcycle buyer asks of a seller is "has it ever been dropped?" Dropped bikes aren't worth as much, plain and simple. You didn't drop it, they did. If they aren't willing to replace the bike they should at least pay you an some extra $$$ to cover the difference in value between dropped and non-dropped.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:23 PM

So you guys think I should make them give me a new one? I checked the odometer before i left and i believe there was like 2 more extra mile on it then when i left it. It was either 2 or 5 more. I alos work at UPS and i'm told that the union there will give me a lawyer on my behalf and I don't have to pay anything. ALso do you think I should go have another dealership look at it to tell me what they think and to tell me if there is any other damage? The dealership where i took it to was where I bought it. I currently ahve the bike in my posession. Does it matter that I took the bike back into my possesion? Thanks for all the help guys. Any and all feedback is much appreciated. I well definetly be talking to my union rep about my lawyer.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM

dude.... i don't think that was knocked over. Look how Fu**ing huge that scratch mark is on the back! And all the other ones are small. Notice how on the end of your right handle, the scratch is on the right side. that means the handle was turned to the right when it fell. who the hell turns their handlebars to the right when they park their bike? Nobody. It wasn't KNOCKED over...that's for sure. Maybe it was dropped when they were turning right... but seeing as how freakin big that scratch is on the tail.... i think some guy was stunting with your bike. To be exact, i think they were doing that one move where you ride on the back wheel and stand on the back while turning in a cirlce. then someone fu**ed up. It started falling, the rear tail scratched, and then it fell. That's what I think happened. AAAAAND..... I wouldn't give two ****s how the hell anything happened to my bike while they were fixing it...they fu*k something up, they fix it.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Retired Administrator

Has anyone thought maybe the bike was on a lift when it fell? The extra 2 or 3 feet of height would add a considerable amount of damage. This might explain the bent handle bar if it landed upside down. I'm not disagreeing with any of the other postings. I'm just trying to ease my mind for the next time I take my bike in for maintenance. It killed me when I picked my bike up to watch a 50 year old, 300 pound, 5' 6" man ride my bike out of the working area. I mean the man couldn't even touch flat foot on one side. And I did watch them take my bike down from a lift. If it was me... I'd take the bike in to a different inspector and see what they have to say. Don't tell them what happen to it, let them tell you what they find out. My luck, the shop I'd take it too would be good friends with the a$$ that dropped/wrecked my bike.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:22 PM

I'm no forensic scientist or anything but from the way the pics look, it does look like the tail took the brunt of the fall. I would think that if it fell off the left it would fall pretty evently, which would also mean the windscreen might have some damage. So it does seem like the front wheel was probably in the air and it kinda toppled out of control, tail falling down first then the on the side (since the next biggest scratch is by the big bolt on the middle fairing). I don't want to jade your opinion and think that nothing else is possible other than someone messin around with your bike, but it is weird for sure. I do think it could be beneficial for you to take it to another shop and see what they think about the damage, from their experience. It will be hard to ask for a new bike, but if somethings not aligned, like the swingarm or something, that could be a story that none of us want to hear. You did do an extrememly smart thing though and look at your odometer before and after. To be honest, I wouldn't have thought of that. I hope it works out to your benefit man. Let us know.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:54 PM

I called a differnt dealer to ask them if they test rode their bies after a 600 mile service minus the oil change. They told me that they do. I then called the dealership that "dropped" my bike and asked them how they dropped it. The guy said that it was on its kick stand and that one of the guys walked by and knocked it and it fell over. I dropped it with them with the odo at either 642 or 645. I don't remember which. Either way there was either 2 miles put on it or 5. I will probably have another shop look at it and tell me what they think. I will then also probably have them inspect it to make sure nothing is wrong with it and make the dealership that dropped it pay for it. Tonight when I go to work I will talk to my union rep about getting that lawyer. Hopefully they are fast because the guy told me that the parts will be in early next week. Thanks for the feedbacka nd i'll keep you posted

Old 08-27-2005, 12:12 AM

What's the worst that could happen if you do seek legal advice? As long as you don't have to pay, either way you are going to get new parts or a new bike and you arn't financially responsible for the legal help. They are definetely right about selling the bike and you not being able to sell the bike as "never dropped." All of my life I have noticed that if I withheld the whole truth something bad happened so I'd be thinking about the future for sure. What could it hurt to try for a new bike? They are totally responsible because the bike was not at your shop. They had to at least replace the plastic because they can't damage your product and say "oh well. Professional and licensed businesses are held responsible for actions. I deliver drywall and if we drop anything on say the house or take out a window with the boom the company is 100% reliable. The sale of product would be for drywall not drywall and a broken window.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 AM

NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE NEW BIKE

SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS!!! UPS offers a Free Lawyer then you answered your own question....Why are you still even thinking anything less than a new bike???

Old 08-27-2005, 12:45 AM

Wow dude sorry for that man i wouldnt take a bike back to them ever. Ive droped mine twice real slow on the right side not near as much damaga just a scatch in a sticker the mirror the case, blinker and brake pedal. I put yoyo dine sliders on it after the second time dont know how well they will handle on a hard fall some guys had luck and some have and the pucks break and grind down the metal part of them but check out yoyodine.net and see there sliders there real cool cause they just unscrew and you can replace the pucks and they have aluminum ones and eylets for tyin down the bike instead of usin your bar ends. I had my bike tied down with them for 1000 miles in a uhaul and now problem i still had the tripple tree harnes on somewhat just in case but on of them staps ended up gettin loose but bike was just were i put it and ok. Do research and find wat best suites you. If you got to cut a hole its worth it thou the ones with the little brackets will bend i saw the lockhart phillips on a r6 and the dude dropped it and the bracket just bent and i think the slider was mashed into the fairing. Good luck make your best judgement.