riding in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in the wind

So I had to work this weekend, I decided to go to work on my new cbr 600rr '06 for the first time.

Keep in mind, im brand new to riding and the bike only now has 400 miles on it.

Anyways, things were great going to work and I was very comfortable going that fast amongst somewhat thin traffic. However, coming home was very scary because it got pretty windy, and I didnt see that coming. I was looking out the window at work thinking...****, I hope this wind subsides. So I leave work and am going down a 35mph stretch and I can feel the wind f'n with the bike on either side, making me worry about going splat. By the time I get out of town and into the 55+ zones, its downright scary, and its only being made worse by the fact cars are pissed and riding up my ***. I keep pulling over to let them pass then I'd keep on trying to maintain decent speed in the wind. I got home, I swore I'd never ride anywhere but in town again.

So this morning I said screw it. Im taking the bike back out today, wind or no wind, gotta confront the demon you know. Besides, I saw other riders in the wind and they seem to be doing ok. Maybe its just something you have to experience and just deal with.

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned
Default RE: riding in the wind

yea man...I appreciate where yer coming from, first time wind def. makes you sketchy..just keep on keppin on mang..screw the cagers..they have indash dvds to watch..wind obviously is hard to avoid, I cant really give you any tips or anything, cuz I fuggin hate the wind, but I try to stay calm, and keep the rubber down..just givver!!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM

here's a tip: The bike will stay planted. it would take tornado speed winds to make your tires leave the pavement. just ride it.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:25 AM

a lot of what you are feeling is the wind buffetting your head around

if you dont have a double bubble screen, that may help a little

also tuck in a little more than you normally would and you wont feel much of anything windwise

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM

^+1

The wind will always push you around. Being new, you are not used to it. I know I was nervous when I was riding in the wind while new. Like Baxom said, tuck in, lower yourself on the tank, and only do a speed that you are comfortable with.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:58 PM

just be comfortable, weve all been thru it when we were starting out and its only though time that you get relaxed with it, as was said its not as much the bike that is moving but more your head, and hey, theres no shame pulling over for a few minutes either to get a space in the traffic or hope that the wind goes down

Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 AM

The wind is scary at first, especially when its blowing in gusts. Does dubble bubble windscreens make a big difference?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM

I know what you're talking about. I am new to riding and I was really scarred to take my bike on the highway or for that case 60+mphs. SUVs, Box Trucks, and Tractor Trailers seemed like they were going to blow the bike down to the ground. But now having 1500 miles on my bike I am much more comfortable and use to the wind.

Just last weekend I road with some experienced buddies and we were on the highway doing 70+ and they could ride next to the back of a tractor trailer with one arm not tuck or anything... I was wtf cuz I felt like i was still going to be blown around too hard. ... its a natural feeling for a new rider but over time you will get use to it.

You will learn to expect the wind and won't even notice it.

Best thing to know and to do is..keep telling yourself .. your bike will stay upright.. just like knightslugger said .. it would take strong a** winds to lay the bike down while riding it.

If for some reason I get a little scared again I just tuck under the wind screen and stay overmy gas tank and I feelfine.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM

thanks for the info everyone.

I ended up going home after work sunday, and the wind was exactly the same, except this time, I didnt have to pull over once and I just ignored the wind. You guys are right, I think the wind was just buffeting my helmet, and the bike was just fine. I pretty much quit looking at things through my first person perspective once I noticed another bike go by: the things are pretty much on rails when they are moving.

So yeah, just takes some experience I guess, but im glad I went back out because now im alot more comfortable on the road. thanks again

Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 PM

yah, tuck a lil more, and if it seems like your getting blown around a lil, give it some more gas, it sounds stupid but it works. i ride over the dumbarton bridge all the time... it spans a cross san fransico bay, and its always super windy. i just tuck a lil and give it a lil more gas.