riding in rain question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in rain question

i usually try to avoid riding in rain but i got caught in it yesterday on a group ride. well as soon as it started pouring and the wind picked up, i lowred my speed but the rear still fishtailed a little (i did not use the rear brake)and i felt it was hard to keep it straight, like it was veering or riding 'tilted'. after the roads were fully soaked and the oil and water mixed, i was able to handle it muchbetter and had good grip. i have the stock dunlops on. has anyone experiened that 'tilted' riding in the rain and what can i do to avoid that? the good thing is now im not hesitant about riding a race replica in the rain. ive only riddern cruisers in the rain and thats much easier.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Default RE: riding in rain question

I know what you mean pilot. That has to be one of the most uncomfortable feelings in the world. Especially on roads that are sloped. Only way to avoid it is not ride in the rain that i know of.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 AM

sounds like a a fun ride for me. i like things hard.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 AM

ive never had a tilted feeling in the rain, that just sounds weird and uncomforatable,
but besides that just keep ur speed down.. especially in the corners, just try and take those as straight up as possible

and as for tires... i got rid of my dunlops a while ago
i run piolet power 2ct's best tires ive ever ridden

Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 AM

I hate to say it but this is where riding a dirt bike helps you out a bit.

I am sure there are a number of strategies for this. But dragging the rear brake when you can will settle down the rear and help if the your FI picks up a bit snatchy. Also its not a good time to try hanging off the bike. You are sort of trying to make more traction or get the tires to dig in more so staying upright or even shifting a little of your weight to the outside (like what you do when making a u-turn--but not quite so much) helps a lot. Use constant pressure with the brakes fr/rear so you don't load/unload the suspension--that will cause the tires to lose traction on the unloading. Be gentle with your throttle and brake transitions you want to control how the weight transfers... doesn't mean you have to do it slow, just means you have to manage it--especially the back to front transitions and lowsiding by losing the front would be the easiest thing to have happen there. Last advice I would have is don't freak out if the bike slides. Within reason let it do what it wants to do, give it a little opposite lock and don't chop the throttle. Try and get your weight off the bike a little bit, or if you can't ride it through your legs more, at least squeeze the tank so you can hold your upper body with your core/back. This will keep more of your weight off the front which will prevent rapid loading of the front suspension (which would go thru your stiff arms).

have fun and be careful.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM

riding in the rain sucks

Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

how many miles you got on now?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 AM

Last week I did about 100 miles in the rain on the Blue Ridge Parkway, had to go from 25mph to 60mph, never had that sensation. Is it actually happening or is it a sensation?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

We're not talking about Power Rangers bicycles youngster, these are bikes for grown-ups.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM

try doing a track day when it is raining and 35 degrees. that was fun but after 50 laps on a 3 mile course i am a much more confident rain rider. there was actually ice on the front fairing when i would come into the paddock and the lower would be full of water. good times

Quick Reply: riding in rain question