Riding advice – what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding advice – what am I doing wrong?

This might be pre mature but it never hearts to ask for some advice. Here is the detail I am about 6’1” somewhere between 205 and 215lbs have had my 600rr for just over a year (it is an 03, pretty much stock – K&N) I had a ninja 250 for a year before the RR. So here is my problem, I noticed yesterday at work that my chicken strips are a lot bigger on the front than on the back. When I got home I measured them and the front they were 24mm and only 8mm on the back. Don’t worry they will get a lot smaller, I have been taking it relatively easy as the tires are new <80miles on them and the roads are still not that clean. My concern is why the big difference! I am confident that as the condition improve the difference will decrease a bit but I still think I am doing something wrong. On the old tires and had not noticed the difference, however the front tire was worn out in a strange pattern, the tire hate some traces of tread down the middle 1” of the tire it also head a good amount of tread on the end half inch and the part in between on both sides was pretty much worn down to a slick. Is this normal, what am I doing wrong? Thanks Everyone!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding advice – what am I doing wrong?

brake late and hard before a turn, countersteer hard to get that biatch into the turn and your front strips will be gone.

why do you want to get rid of your strips? based on your size (6'1")...you're pretty macho already...don't worry about strips...they don't mean anything.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:30 PM

my concern is the difference and of course, getting better and faster...
thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM

If you're using so much tire during street riding that you have little or no strips, you're riding way too hard and leaving no margin for error. Save that kind of riding for the track.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:55 PM

front has to do with turn in and counter steering. my front in the canyons and streets have never been to the edge, but on the track with lots of countersteering, late braking, etc..the front has seen the edges.

my advice is not to focus on things like strips and dragging knee...afterall, someone who is crashing will have both.

focus on smoothness, clean lines and you'll get faster very quickly...and the knee will drag, and the strips disappear.

just know that for someone who hangs off the bike with great body positioning will get through a turn much faster than someone who doesn't have either...with the same lean angle.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

front has to do with turn in and counter steering. my front in the canyons and streets have never been to the edge, but on the track with lots of countersteering, late braking, etc..the front has seen the edges.

my advice is not to focus on things like strips and dragging knee...afterall, someone who is crashing will have both.

focus on smoothness, clean lines and you'll get faster very quickly...and the knee will drag, and the strips disappear.

just know that for someone who hangs off the bike with great body positioning will get through a turn much faster than someone who doesn't have either...with the same lean angle.

I just found out that my body position is all wrong from last trackday...smooth is alot harder than i thought...

Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: blackbears

what am I doing wrong?
trying to get rid of your "chicken strips" on the street, take it to the track if your wanting to lean that far in the corners

as for why the front strips are bigger on the front than the back, as tahoe said, only under extreme conditions will you use all of the front tire (extreme conditions meaning the track, except for those actually retarded enough to push that hard on the street)

front tires are usually designed to keep more meat on the ground in the corners than rear tires
losing traction in the rear is a lot easier to save than losing the front and the forces of braking (especially trail braking) take a lot of your traction going into a corner.

changing geometry under hard braking/cornering also play a large role in front tire usage, harder braking compresses the forks and even bends (flex really, not bending). This shortens the wheelbase enough to help initial turn in, but if you trail brake hard enough that short wheelbase will make the bike more unstable mid-corner which leads to front end tucking/sliding which can take those strips off (or send you sliding into a ditch if your still trying this on the street... )

Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM

woody! long time no hear!
good guy to chime in...once in a turn, he dragged his knee and got rid of his chicken strips and what not but the bike didn't look too good after ;-)
but he had the best sommersaults i had seen since pre-school! LOL...
jp mang! you sell the trackbike yet to pimp your SV?

cksean...post your damn trackpix in the track riding section mang! i made it a sticky but on one ever posts! BW is mah favorite!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 PM

excuse the newbe ignorance....but aside from that basket of **** with fries that i just ate.....what exactly are "chicken strips"

Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: hopkinslax12

excuse the newbe ignorance....but aside from that basket of **** with fries that i just ate.....what exactly are "chicken strips"
https://cbrforum.com/m_244727/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Riding advice – what am I doing wrong?