Rediculous OIL Filter POSITION!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rediculous OIL Filter POSITION!

OMFG, I can't believe i had to go through this **** on a Bike. It was a Pain in the *** today to change out the oil filter on my 06 cbr600RR. I thought that was stupid how Honda designed the filterbeing placed behindthe headers and a small *** place to put your hand through. My 07 ZZR600 was damn easy to have access to. Anyways, I had to use a flat head driver and stabbed it through the filter to losen it up cause I had no other way to losen it up: 1) it was toooo tight to do it with my hand 2) Oil Filter clamp didn't work. My experience about changing the oil wasn't anything good to mention, but I thought that I was doing a hard way. Is there an easier way to get to the filter and losen it up beside the way that I did??? I really hate to go through the same process again for next time.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Default RE: Rediculous OIL Filter POSITION!

dude, the best way is to just stab it with the screw driver, stock filters are always on way too tight, when you put your new one on it should only be hand tight. after that when you buy a new filter make sure it has an ez screw top... thats what mines called on my f4i. it basically had a welded on bolt that you can then unscrew with anything you can fit in there. if not, just skep any other attempts and go straight to the screw driver method

you could also take the bike apart and unscrew it.. thats just unneccessary

Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 AM

I know how take it off..that's what i did..stabbed it with a screw driver. I wwas just wondering why HONDA made it like that, a real tight *** space and had to get to the filter.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 AM

Just take it to the dealer. Its alot easier.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:01 AM

^^^^^BAD IDEA^^^^ I hope you were kidding Why go to the stealership and pay way to much when you can do it yourself. The screwdriver method works just fine.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Next time pick up a K&N oil filter. They're a little more expensive but they make it so you can get a regular wrench on it (has a regular size nut built onto it). If you didn't already, make sure you take the fairings off and drop the resevor tank, this helps.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 AM

^^+1 on that, i got a cheaper version of the K&N. and never take it to the dealership i agree. i dont like to drop 150 for a ten minute job.

And the reason they put it there is so you will give up and take to the dealership. thats also why the only way to take it off is to stab it, that way you get your aggression out on the stupid mother F#!$in filter.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 PM

I do not know about you guys but a set of oil filter sockets from harbour freight are my best friends. There is no need to get pissed it is just an oil change.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 PM

+1 screwdriver!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Get the right tool for the job and it's easy... a band style oil filter wrench with a swivel handle fits right in and it'll be off in no time with ease.

- 1 on the screw driver, unless you want to punch a hole in the oil cooler on accident, then your oil change just got really, really expensive... I've seen it happen way to many times.

Quick Reply: Rediculous OIL Filter POSITION!