Rear Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Tire

I need a new rear tire for my 05 600rr, it has pilot sports on it now, should I replace it with a new pilot sport or should I use something different. I never go to the track I do mostly joy riding through the twisties or back and forth about 10 miles to my girlfriends house. I just got the bike so I am not that expirenced yet and I don't need a super soft tire that is gonna wear out in a month, I would like to get a season or two out of my tires. Also how much am I looking to have the tire installed, I don't have a stand so I was just going to drop the bike off at my local honda dealer.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Default RE: Rear Tire

do you have any complaints about the Pilot Sport that's being replaced? if not, stick with it. dealer pricing will vary almost as much as a woman's hair color. i live in a small town a fancy a small dealership/shop so it's never too expensive form me to get work done. $12/tire off the bike, i'd say $50/tire bringing it in. they clean the chain and swinger as well as lube the chain up for me too so it's a good relationship.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 AM

never goto the dealer for any kinda service...they charge too much...
if you could...invest your money on rear stand...pushing the bike to clean your chain is not fun either...

Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 AM

^ I disagree. it depends on the area, and more importantly the individual dealer.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 AM

I have the Pilot Sports on my 06, and have 4000 miles on them now, with perhaps 1000 left before they are done. I have no complaints, and will probably replace with the same thing.

I heard that the 'Sport' has changed its name to the 'Power', can someone confirm that they are actually the same tire ?

As Knight said, cost will depend alot by area. I am happy to pay the price for the service I get from my dealer, when I feel that its too much, I ask them to tell me the hourly rate and how they come to their estimate. My lame way of keeping them honest.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 PM

not sure how you can think paying a dealership to remove your wheels and mount tires is better than taking the wheels off yourself
unless you change tires once every 10 years the stands will pay themselves off pretty quick and its incredibly easy to take the wheels off

most dealerships I've been to charge a set rate per hour whether its rebuilding an engine or removing your wheels and most around here massively exagerate how long it takes them to do it (my local shop assumes one hour per wheel to remove from bike, mount, and balance the tire and charge a small fortune per hour)
I got kinda pissed the first time they charged me for 2 hours work when I had the bike back new tires and all in 30 minutes, screw that none of my bikes have seen the inside of a dealership since

Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM

I disagree, if you don't know what the hell your doing take your bike in to a dealer. It not worth killing yourself because your a cheap ***. Some people aren't mechanically inclined where others are. Personally I do most of my work myself but I also work at a dealership and some of the people that come in shouldn't even be riding a bike more or less fixing their own machine.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cjp48
I heard that the 'Sport' has changed its name to the 'Power', can someone confirm that they are actually the same tire ?
nope. the power is a completely different tire. they still have the Pilot Road and Sport.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM

$10-$20 per tire off the bike and $40-$50 per tire on the bike...to me $80-$100 to just replace the tires is lil too much for me as i go thru alotta tires...
I recently purchased a service manual from the dealer and basic service is fairly easy to do...
dealer charges $100+ for an oil change...[:'(]
It will save you alotta money in the long run...My 2cents...

Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can go either way. Sport, or Power. Up to you!

I do agree that just about everyone should invest in a stand for easy maintenance and learn how to pull the wheels for cheaper mounting. I mount my own tires myself and do them for many others as well. No way I would pay what the stealers are charging people these day.

Quick Reply: Rear Tire