Ran out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of gas

Ok,

Before you go off on how stupid I am... Yes, I was intentionally running it out of gas to install a speedohealer this weekend. Yes I saw that I had one bar left but I was waiting for it to flash red (which I have seen it do before) so I would know I had aproximately 1 gallon left and at least 40 miles to get home. I was only 10 miles from my house and it just sputtered and died. No flashing red of the last bar. I was irritated. I spent 40 minutes on the side of the rode waiting for someone to bring me gas. Has anyone else had problems with the reserve flashing of the red?

Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: Ran out of gas

nope but funny story tho. around here(El Cajon, CA- part of/next to San Diego) we have a gas station like on every block. some of them have a gas station across the street from another gas station. if i ever run out i know i can just push my bike for like 1 min and i found a gas station.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Haha. I was on Poway road right at the 67. I ran out at the light. I should have turned around and coasted down the hill to the gas station. It would work if the light at the bottom was green. If it was red I would be screwed.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Ive never run out..i always fill up with two bars left...so i never have to worry about someone seeing me and my RR on the side of the road...thats where all the Harleys park...LOL...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran out once. Had the red bar flashing for about 15 miles (trying to squeeze 160 miles out of the tank). Ran out of gas going up the hill to get into my neighborhood. The gas station was at the bottom of the hill, so I turned around and coasted down. When I coasted into the gas station, someone filling up asked "its that thing electric?". I laughed (because I was filling it up with gas!) and said, "Yeah, it's one of those new electric ones that run on gas." He nodded his head and went "cool". Wonder if he ever figured it out. LOL!!!!

But to answer your question, no, I haven't had any problems with running out of gas before the bar flashes. Actually, I'm impressed that I can actually go for so long with the red bar flashing. (which I know I shouldn't do, but sometimes, you have to squeeze out every last drop.)

Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 PM

I'VE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM BUT MY BUDDY HAS THE SAME BIKE AS I DO CBR 600RR AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO HIM TWICE NO FLASHING BAR, IT JUST DIED ON HIM I THINK ITS JUST A GLITCH CUZ ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE ITS DONE THAT AGAIN. STILL PRETTY WIERD THOUGH

Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 PM

I am really wondering if my gas guage is working now. I filled up and have done enough riding that normally would show half of a tank or less but it is showing 3/4 of a tank.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM

I fill up at around 135- 140 miles. I was riding the Tail of the Dragon this week and came to close to 160 miles. Not a good thing. I am a HRCA member but how can I call them if I am in the middle of the Smokey Mountains!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 PM

or yoyr bike dont like you and wanted u to get off.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Riding Red

I am really wondering if my gas guage is working now. I filled up and have done enough riding that normally would show half of a tank or less but it is showing 3/4 of a tank.
I wouldn't worry about it, these gas guages aren't built to monitor gas milage, just to give an "estimate" of how much fuel is left in the tank. (for example: The bike is on the sidestand, one bar is gone, but you stand the bike up, the bar reappears.) - It's not the most accurate of our guages.

Another factor is that we only have 7 bars. I average about 17-22 miles per bar depending on the way I'm riding. All 7 bars can be there (indicating a full tank), but I might be within a mile of having that bar go away, but it still shows a full tank (because I'm nearing the end of the first bars' life). It sounds confusing, but it makes logical sense when you think about it, LOL. - sorry if I confused anyone. LOL.